Logo

Cleaning Heat Exchanger and Oil Cooler

tbrodes

Regular Contributor
"Guys, spring is here (eve

"Guys, spring is here (even tho its 30 degrees out!) and I have boat projects beginning to line up.

This years plan is buy new water pumps (2) and clean both heat exchangers and oil coolers.

Whats the best way to clean these? Pump Muratic acid through them? How hard are they to remove? Would it be worth it to bring them to a radiator shop and have them dip them?

Looking for all suggestions!"

"Ted, I can't say how righ

"Ted, I can't say how right or wrong this is as OIL COOLERS are part of the normal wear items that get replaced. Now that that's said. I have new U-coolers on the boat but I did experiment with something I had read about here and took the caps off of the U-coolers using a small torch. Once open I poured in 50/50 muriatic acid and let it work for about 10 minutes. Re-soldered, repainted and used it last season in NJ last year with no problems. I did find some "debris" and clogs in the honeycomb insides including some small stones that made it in.

As for the heat exchangers, we had a leak on BOTH exchangers on the inlet under the top cap. Since they had to be re-soldered, I took off each end cap and rodded each of the honeycombs there as well as a milder solution of muriatic acid. Replaced the end gaskets and caps, re-painted and again, last season was a good one."

"Ted:

If you have a radiato

"Ted:

If you have a radiator shop close, and you are not sure where/how, I'd say it is worth going to them. They can do all the circuits in the coolers, at one time, and pressure test them, too. You also don't have to worry about what to do with the 'used' cleaner afterwards.

If you're inclined, the procedure Al laid out in the previous post works fine. (some of those stones were probably zinc pencil residuals.) I'll only add that most recommend using a brush (oil galley cleaning brushes work great) to ensure cleaning the passages."

"Hi Mark,

Exactly right..Pr

"Hi Mark,

Exactly right..Pressure testing is a reassuring option I was not able to take advantage of having done this myself. But, the curious side of me wins out over the practical side too many times.
250745.jpg
Ucooler"">
250746.jpg
inside

"If your engine does nto alrea

"If your engine does nto already have a tap area for a oil temperature sensor, than kits are available. My only experience with a good mechanic was to install a sensor and in such event that the oil temps would ever run abnormal, then pursue major efforts to clean the cooler or the lines. I have yet to have a problem but glad to hear about the alternative on this topic. Thankx guys."

"Those are some bubbling excha

"Those are some bubbling exchangers! I will yank them out of the boat and drop off at a radiator shop. I have not yanked these things before.

Al, want to give me the step by step?"

"Sure Ted,

I used the yello

"Sure Ted,

I used the yellow MAP gas cylinder to get the heat and de-solder the top caps. They do come off easily once hot enough to melt the solder. From there, ran a cleaning rod thru to try and see if any other passages were plugged. If so, I would just replace the unit as the one in the photo has a stone in the core. I put the cooler into a porcelain container in case of spillage and filled them with 50/50 water and muriatic acid ( acid into the water not the other way ).

They sat about 10 minutes or so while the solution worked its way around the core. After it stopped doing the fizzing, I rinsed the cooler with fresh water, allowed it to dry then cleaned and fluxed the mating surfaces for re-solder. That is no different than sweating two copper fittings. Lime will neutralize the acid and it can be sent to the recycling center.

Once cooled I stripped the old paint and re-sprayed the unit Crusader Blue, baked it in the oven at 250 until done.

I have no idea what that part does but it sure seems to make the paint more indestructible. I have 2 new coolers on the boat ready to go if needed BUT...I am using the old cleaned out ones with success..............so far."

"Can someone let me know how o

"Can someone let me know how often they change their U Coolers, and how often they clean them out? the boat is used in south florida (Salt Water).

Thanks"

"bump...

Anyone know about

"bump...

Anyone know about how often they change their oil coolers, and if possible, where i can take them to get cleaned and pressure tested?"

"just an update on my project

"just an update on my project a month ago. I rigged up some tubing so I could pour acid into my oil coolers and heat xchangers. Rediculous amount of 'stuff' came out!!! Boat is in, steam is half of what it was, (still running old pumps, sub-optimum) and the temps are 170 degrees at ALL rpms. Today i was tuna fishing. Cruised out with 4 guys, 250 gallons, gear, BEER, at 3200 RPM at about 21-23 knots (current). Caught a few, brought home a 138 pounder, and raced home at 3400 RPM at 26 knots (thinking it might be more efficient).

All I can say is the boat is running the best it ever has, and its ALL thanks to you guys!!!"

Back