Logo

Circulation pump on 57gsi

bdm

The workshop is changing the s

The workshop is changing the sea water pump at the moment because it Leaks and is unserviceable. Should we also be changing the circulation pump at the same time it the original pump 8 years old it not very expensive to change.

Check the weep hole at the bot

Check the weep hole at the bottom of the circ. pump. Look for staining or visible water. Then grasp the water pump pulley and try to rock it back and forth. If you do not see staining or water and if the pump does not wable I would not replace it.

Thanks Mike for the informatio

Thanks Mike for the information and when i get in the work shop on Monday i will check the the weep hole and the pulley. But do they have a service life?.I don't want to be 50 mile form the Marina with a stuffed water pump and in Melbourne Australia it hard to get a tow back to the Marina

"If it is not expensive, you c

"If it is not expensive, you can definitely change it for peace of mind. However, what tells you that the new pump won't break after hours of minutes of installing it?

If you are afraid of getting stranded due to a broken circulating pump, you may be better off carrying a spare pump one onboard, plus a set of gaskets and a can of Perfect Seal (or Permatex Aviation Gasket, or similar compound).
2_cents.gif
"

"El. Are water pump like manif

"El. Are water pump like manifold and riser do they need replacing every 3 or 5 years?. Do they have a service life and then need replacing ,or do you wait till they fail? I just want my boat right for next summer and we are doing work on the motor next week,and i thought it my be a good time to replace the pump"

"The pumps do not fail every 3

"The pumps do not fail every 3-5 years, but they do eventually fail; the question is "when"? It is up to you if you do it now or if you wait. Personally, I would wait if there are no signs of the pump being faulty. But again, if yo want to feel safe, you can always carry a spare with you and/or replace your current pump now. Personally, I think it is more important to have a spare impeller and seal for the raw water pump (or a complete raw water pump) than having a spare circulating pump. You can normally make it to port with a leaky circulating pump, but if you have a raw water pump with a broken impeller that's a different story.

FWIW, I carry onboard a spare impeller for my engine's raw water pump, but no spare circulating pump (however, my engine has a fresh water cooling system, AKA "closed cooling system")."

Back