Logo

Circlip/retainer clip orientation question...

cjbrill715

Regular Contributor
I'm reassembling a Evinrude lower unit (1984 50 hp)
It has 2 circlips between the bearing carrier and bolt plate. I see some folks talking about the sharp and rounded edges on these, and which way they have to face, but I'm getting mixed answers....can anyone tell me the correct positioning for both of these clips?

I'm reassembling a Evinrude lower unit (1984 50 hp)
It has 2 circlips between the bearing carrier and bolt plate. I see some folks talking about the sharp and rounded edges on these, and which way they have to face, but I'm getting mixed answers....can anyone tell me the correct positioning for both of these clips?

There is no advice that I can see in the on line the manual

I would fit them so that the face with the sharp edges was the thrust bearing face.

That I think means in this case rounded edges facing each other.

Be 110% sure that first one is correctly seated in its groove before disengaging the pliers

Don't matter which side goes where just make sure ends are 180° from each other...I usually do em at 9 and 3 o'clock do to side loads on carrier from propshaft

Don't matter which side goes where just make sure ends are 180° from each other...I usually do em at 9 and 3 o'clock do to side loads on carrier from propshaft

Okay, thanks, I will do that. One more question, the retainer plate that the 3 bolts go into that holds the bearing carrier in place, what's the purpose of the 4th unthreaded hole? The threaded holes are 120 degrees apart, but there's a 4th hole directly between 2 of them...i just assumed that the exploded parts diagram was correct in it's rendering, and I placed that hole at 12oclock (straight up)...just want to verify my work....

I always placed that hole at 6oclock position (straight down). Would make any oil in the G/C flow easier.

Back