Logo

Chrysler stern drive

jonjon

Contributing Member
"Have a chrysler stern drive h

"Have a chrysler stern drive hooked up to a 265 hemi. We think it is a 300 judging from photo. Boat is in Brisbane, Australia. The leg is fine but would like to collect some spares, plan to have the boat for a long time."

You should have a tag somewher

You should have a tag somewhere on the transom assembly inside the boat that will have the model # on it. Check to see if you have a 'HA' or a 'HB'.

"The previous owner had the ma

"The previous owner had the manual for the stern drive leg stored. He has located them, he moved interstate, and confirm it is a chrysler 300 of HA series. I have also been advised that these were made by Dana and they are a good and practical leg. The leg came with some used and new boots. Is there a process to renew a use exhaust boot and to preserve the new boots? Did chrysler sell the 6 cylinder 265 hemi in the USA? By the chrysler book these were a factory reworked to 200HP and marinesed, I assume in Australia. They raced the Chrysler Charger [ a car ] in the Bathurst 1000.[ Wikipedia ] with the reworked motor then went to a V 8. Looked a boats with 165 mercrusiers but all had had hard lives. Were the 165 merc a the motor a good unit? This leg and motor has not done a lot of work. It is also fresh water cooled. Why do they have a different number of teeth on the ring gear on the fly wheel and hence the starter than on the cars? Thank you for the contact."

"They very well could have bee

"They very well could have been made by Dana but they were Chrysler's first and only attempt at designing and building their own stern drive. The biggest problem is they only made them 3 or 4 years and then they sold the boat business so there isn't much of a parts supply and they ain't cheap! If you have spare exhaust boots that's great. Armor-all couldn't hurt, especially when stored.
Secondly, they never built a 265 Hemi here and I'm not sure about the fly wheel teeth although you NEED a MARINE starter anyway so don't think of using a car starter even if you could...Good Luck!"

Back