Logo

Chrysler 440 Six Pack

TonyJ1961

Contributing Member
I have heard tell of a 440 Six Pack marine called "The Mover". Anyone have any information or specs on this engine?

You can't use off the shelf automotive carbs. Without a marine USCG approval your insurance will be void and you have a good chance of blowing yourself up.

The 440-375 used the same cam as the 426-350.

Attachments

• bb426.jpg
    bb426.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
True. There are a few mods needed to convert the Automotive 2 v carbs for marine use. I know dual 4v's is easier as there are marine 4v's available.

The manifold is a Edelbrock CH-28. It's in a 73 Century Arabian and sits level since it's a V-drive. (Paragon PV-400). The 426-350 straight inboard uses cast iron wedges to level the 500CFM AFB's The 426 is in a 1963 Century Coronado.

I've left the dual quads in favor of MPI.

Attachments

• 440mpi-sm.jpg
    440mpi-sm.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 108
The stock RB marine dual quad intake is very special. It has a water jacket under the carbs, not a exhaust crossover like a auto intake. . During warm up with the T-stat closed, warm water is routed to the intake jacket. When the engine is up to temp, cool water is routed to the intake jacket.

A cool intake makes better power.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqQOKkQE4j62,1tGBOURgRNrOg~~48_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqQOKkQE4j62,1tGBOURgRNrOg~~48_3.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 102
  • $(KGrHqF,!l0E4lkZ7j8EBOURf-y+,Q~~48_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!l0E4lkZ7j8EBOURf-y+,Q~~48_3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Dave, Looks like I will probably need to go Dual Quad. I cannot find any marine six pack carbs anywhere. And an auto version cannot be marinized. It gets into USCG legal stuff and some technical stuff that goes into air bleed sizes and passages in the carb...or at least that is what I am told from Holley tech people.

I think the tri-power is just as neat as dual quads.
6packMarines.jpg Maybe even more unique if you actually could find a set that hadn't been modified..........

6packMarines1.jpg About 250 cfm from the center when your putting around and 1000 cfm when you need to get the ya-yas out.
6packFront.jpg6packCenter.jpg6packRear.jpg

Sorry Jeff, you are wrong. These are the marine carbs! Go look in your Holley list numbers.

ScreenShot004.jpg

Last edited:
Tony, not really looking to off load at this time. I want to get them cleaned up and back to spec (bowl vent j-tubes and rebuilds) but I'm in no hurry. They are out there though and more likely they have found their way to the "dark" (automotive) side. If you hit the swaps or advertise for specific list numbers like at Dodge Forum, A-bodies Only Forum, Bigblock Dart, etc. you may score a lead on a set.

Sorry, but I found only marine FOUR barrel carb stuff there. That said, Holley must have made a 500 two barrel marine carb for SOMEBODY, and I assume that's what the SIx Pack carbs are.

Jeff

The Six Pack carbs are 3 Holley model 2300's. They were rated at 350CFM for the center and 500CFM for the front and rear. The center carb was the main carb, used for start-up and idle and the front and rear were connected via a progressive linkage with vacuum operated throttle blades. It was like having two sets of secondaries acting as a single six barrel carb. It was quite ingenious at the time.

Some specs for M440S.........
ScreenShot006.jpg

Bah??
As I understand, Ford started it off with Offenhauser in the early 60s. Evidently GTOs and Corvettes had mechanical linkage Holley setups available in the mid 60's on manual trans cars?
Chrysler and Holley developed a more streetable version for the 69 year including "tune-able" vacuum secondaries and adjustable idle circuits for the outboard carbs. These were used on both auto and manual trans.

By the way, just for kicks if you dare, try google or bing search "six pack setup" to see what comes up!

Back