Logo

Chrysler 318 spark plug wires

mictat2214

Contributing Member
hi... i've a 1981 penn yan

hi... i've a 1981 penn yan with an original 318 chrysler w/electronic ignition... i want to up grade the spark plug wires to MAGSTAR and re-route them away from the ridiculous factory installation... i read here that a MAGSTAR set designed for a 454 big block would suffice... which part #... 15-803 or 15-809? thanx in advancefor any info... mike s...

"I used Aqua Power (Morse&

"I used Aqua Power (Morse) # 3038 (for a big block Chevy). These have straight plug ends, which is hard to use. Try to get the same big block wires, but with angled plug ends if you can.

Jeff"

jeff... thanx for the response

jeff... thanx for the response... i am pretty sure MAGSTAR wires designed for a 454 have angled plug ends... on their web site they give two differnt part #'s; one for electronic ignition 454's & one for HP 454's... is there really a difference? Thanx in advance... mike s...

"One MIGHT be thicker. Either

"One MIGHT be thicker. Either will work, but be sure the distributor ends are compatible.

Jeff"

"hi jeff... thanx for your qui

"hi jeff... thanx for your quik replies & input... i've opted for a a set of MAGSTAR #807 wires which is a replacement set for the factory wires... crazy set-up but got a great price at west marine... $35.00 including tax & shipping... some may call me cheap, i like frugal better... starting with wires & plugs... then will address the popping & backfiring thru the carb issues... hoping it's something simple... crossed wires???... thanx again for your help... mike s..."

"I'm a famous cheapskate!

"I'm a famous cheapskate! (Maybe we're related....)

The back firing might be the Carter AFBs (assuming you're running them). Let me know, 'cause I have a few tips to make 'em run better.

Jeff"

"i AM running a carter AFB, wh

"i AM running a carter AFB, which was rebuilt several years ago... the choke is now malfunctioning so i wired it open... there is also old fuel aboard...last summer i had the distributor components replaced ( rotor, cap, reluctor, electronic pick-up )... it is since then that i've had trouble... that's what leads me towards a timing problem of some sort... distributor out of whack or maybe crossed wires... the boat runs well under no load... thanx again...mike... btw, aren't all cheapskates related? lol..."

We're all related: the Ch

We're all related: the Cheapskate Brothers!

Jeff

PS: That carb will backfire like crazy with the chole wired open like that.

"jeff... choke wouldn't op

"jeff... choke wouldn't open when warm... running full rich... black, sooty, fouled plugs... backfired when goosing throttle in neutral... wired open, still backfiring... i just came up with a brainstorm: FIX THE CHOKE!! carb may very well be the original on an original 1981 318... thanx for the help... mike..."

"jeff... i think i solved the

"jeff... i think i solved the choke probs. by removing the stove assembly & cleaning the crud out of the manifold well... probably wasn't done in 27 years... quite a bit of rusty crud in there...must've been acting as an insulator thus preventing heat transfer from the manifold to the choke activation spring which was fully operational... cleaned everything up & the choke went full open immediately after installation & stayed that way... ran the engine at the dock & it ran pretty good but not the way i like it... not quite smooth enough & still some backfiring when the throttle is goosed... hope to get a run in today... everything is different under load... thanx, again for your help... mike..."

"Good detective work, Mike! T

"Good detective work, Mike! Those old Caters are past their prime and don't run very well any longer. I suggest you start looking for an Edelbrock 1409 marine carb. Meanwhile, make sure the accelerator pump rod is in the hole closest to the pivot. That helps with the stumbling.

Jeff

PS: Carefully that you don't loose the SOB clip!"

Back