Logo

Chrysler 318 Full Raw water cooled manifold set up with distribution tube

KMD

View attachment raw water cooled manifold set up.pdfView attachment osco-pg22-25.pdf
Just wanted some opinions on if my raw water cooled set up is correct, the tech document from osco does not have a picture and the instructions are not too clear, I just want to be certain my set up is right. If I understand it correctly the purpose of the distribution tube is to remove trapped air from the manifold, and this tube is only used on raw water cooled applications. I know trapped air will make its way to the highest point in the manifold, so the tube would then be inserted from the rear (transmission side). I drew a picture of how I think the set up should be just wanted to double check myself. The one attachment is my hand drawing, the other is the tech document from osco.
Thanks
KMD

OK I cant figure out how to edit the other post to add this info. If you read my previous posts I was setting up my manifolds in a full cool set up. Well heat exchanger issues and other problems have forced me to set up motor as full raw water cooled. The question I have is I see Oscos web site service bulletin (page 25) states to use water distribution tube when using raw water cooled. And it states to bring water inlet through the bottom of the manifold. I drew a schematic how they say to do it. Who has raw water cooled engines without the distribution tube? I have seen a ton of raw water cooled Chryslers where basically they have a T fitting off the discharge of sea water pump, one end goes to engine driven pump inlet, the other end goes up to The T stat housing (which has 3 ports on it). The other 2 ports on the T stat housing tap into the front of each osco 826 manifold, water runs through the manifold out the back end. Attached is a link to a marrinette for sale and you can see from the pic is set up this way.
http://m.yachtworld.com/mobile/listing/photoGallery.jsp?boat_id=2218184

I don’t want to buy 4 tubes if its not needed just curious how other raw water cooled 318’s are set up.

According to OSCO, the water is supposed to come in low and in back, fill the manifolds, enter the tubes in high and in front, then flow out the back.

That said, my set up is a bit different: The previous owner removed the FWC system to run the motors as RWCooled. In doing so, he plumbed the raw water IN at the top in front (and left the copper tubes in place). While replacing a manifold,I accidentally left out the copper tube and, guess what? The manifolds ran cooler than before. I've since removed all of them from both maotors. (The OSCO tech guy said that wouldn't work, but...)

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. As I said in my post I have looked at 318 marine motors on youtube, and if you look at pictures of marinettes for sale any pics of the engine room seems to have full raw water cooled set up as water enters at the high spot (front) runs through the manifolds and out the back for the 826 osco manifolds. I think I am going to set it up this way and just monitor the temps. I cant see spending the money for the tubes and extra plumbing for nothing.

Thanks
KMD

Back