Logo

Choke questions 1978 5o hp 500

spamn

Engine: 1978 Merc 500
Controls: Black 2 lever Mercontrol

I am gone through my manual and cannot figure out some things with my choke.

First. My electric choke button on my Mercontrol won't work. I tested the solenoid by using a jumper from the starter solenoid and the plunger rose up as it should. Assuming that somewhere in my wiring, or even control box, there is a bad wire? How can I go about testing this. I have a multimeter.

Second. When I use the manual choke, the plunger stays in the solenoid. Therefore, when I push the manual choke down, the engine stays choked as the plunger is holding the linkage up still. The manual choke just has a piece of wire that is not firm enough to dislodge the plunger. After some research online, I think I may have found something. Is this engine supposed to have a choke spring that keeps tension down on the choke linkage? That sounds like it would help me out. If so, where does this spring mount?

Thanks in advance
Sam​

I do have knowledge in electronics but the second part I don't know of that parts but for sure all the solenoids pushing or pulling a plunger or some mass they need another form of energy to go back to the resting position and almost always they are springs.

If your choke button is not functioning you should check if this button is suppliyng sourcing or sinking (+) or (-), they usually are 2 cables connected to those types of chokes, one is the supply and other is for the solenoid, check for continuity on the button removing the cables and doing the test or check for voltage "best procedure" when pressing the button "both terminals should read the same when pressing"...

post results...

Back