Logo

Choke on 200hp 2003

saltyjoe

It seems that resently I have been having a little trouble starting my motor? When I push the key in for the choke should I hear a click? I think that this is my problem but don't have to much info in the service manual . Was thinking of replacing the switch?
Thanks Joe

Your switch is probably ok. There is no choke on the 200HP...it is fuel injected.

As for the hard to start...

How long does it take to start?

How does it run once it is started? Slow speed? High Speed?

Mike

It will start the first turn but it is a little stutters some. Why would the switch have a push for choke ignition? I have always pushed it in when starting the motor, Runs great at all speeds.
Joe

That key switch panel is also used for motors down to a 25hp. Most of the older ones below 115HP had chokes.

First check to be sure that you squeeze bulb is hard before you start. It sounds like there may be an issue with it not getting enough fuel at start up. You might just have a faulty squeeze bulb.

Another thing you might do is drain the fuel from you vapor separator into a glass jar and see what it looks like.

When was the last time that you changed your high pressure fuel filter (in the vapor separator)?

One last thing to try...and there are many....when you go to start the motor, turn the key switch to on, listen for the two second beeps and after that two seconds (during which time the high pressure pump is pressurizing the system)....then turn the key to start.

If all that checks out and does not help...then it will be time to check a few other things like Idle Air Control, etc. Let's save that for later.

Mike

Mike,
I just got back from my buddies house and he has a push button key choke on his brand new fuel injected etecs? I wonder why his would have it?
Joe

Same explanation as the Honda. We are no longer an Evinrude dealer, but the key switches for all of the etecs that I have installed are also used throughout the Evinrude/Johnson product line, some of which still use the choke function on the switch.

With the fuel injected engines, there is no need for the choke unless it is used for some other function that I do not know about. But it is not used for starting.

If you still do not believe me....page through your owner's manual and see if there is any mention of choke on your 200. To make it easy on you....you can electronically search on this owner's manual http://marine.honda.com/pdf/manuals/31ZY2601.pdf at the Honda web site. Check out the How to start section...

Mike

I know that is why I asked here because it did not say anything about a choke.. Just find it funny that they put it on a boat that does not need it.
Well I will be out fishing tomorrow, so I will report soon.
Thanks
Joe

Back