Logo

choke issue 60 hp 2 stroke

Mito35

I have a 60 hp 2 stroke mercury big foot, year 2003. When I first put it in the water just last week it took awhile to get it started, but after it did it ran good for the afternoon, even after stopping to swim for a hour or so it started right up. Two days later same issue of starting only did not start until a guy at the landing who is a small engine mechanic said it sounded like a choke issue. As I turned it over he played with the throttle linkage and it started up. He said by jerking the throttle linkage at the engine it was able to choke and start. No problems starting the rest of the afternoon. My question is how do I fix this, it cant be too technical but maybe will be. My choke operates by pushing in on the key as it is turned over. I appreciate any suggestions. Terry

Make sure the electrical solenoid is making a clicking sound when you push the key in. Open up the engine cowling cover and make sure you hear a clicking sound when the key is pushed in. Also makes sure that your carb lineage to the choke solenoid is correct. If its not hooked up to the solenoid then you won't get any choke at all even with the solenoid working correctly.

Make sure the electrical solenoid is making a clicking sound when you push the key in. Open up the engine cowling cover and make sure you hear a clicking sound when the key is pushed in. Also makes sure that your carb lineage to the choke solenoid is correct. If its not hooked up to the solenoid then you won't get any choke at all even with the solenoid working correctly.

Thank you I will check those two options which make sense. Terry

Back