Logo

chevy 292 I6 mod

Guys,
A few months ago, I decided to swap a mercruiser 165 I6 (chevy 250) with a Chevy 292 I6. After having to make modifications here and there to get it to fit, I finally got the engine to run, got it timed properly, and took the boat to the water for my first actual test drive. I never left the dock, as the motor first started and died out after a few seconds. At the time, I noted that some water was leaking out between the 90 degree exhaust elbow and the intake manifold log. I thought that maybe a small amount of water was somehow getting into the intake manifold through the exhaust and quenching combustion. I took everything apart, sanded the mating surfaces to make sure they were true, put in new exhaust gaskets as well as some high temp RTD, and stopped the leak, but the engine still stalls out. I then thought it was, and it still appears to be a carb problem. There mechanical fuel pump is working, because I have fuel up to the carb intake. If I crack open the fitting, fuel pees out, so I know I have good pressure, if I disconnect the fitting all together and turn the motor over fuel pumps out fine. However, when everything is connected, I get very little fuel out of the jets unless I cycle the throttle agressively. If I pour fuel directly into the carb, or cycle the throttle several times, the engine will start, and even accelerate if I move the throttle forward, but will die out as soon as the fuel I poured into the bowl is out. Now, I am thinking the carb needs a rebuild, but I am not exactly sure why I am not getting fuel out without pumping the throttle. If the jets were clogged, I shouldn't get anything at all, and cycling the throttle shouldn't matter, right? Can it be the fuel pump capacity is too low for this larger motor? Or is my original hunch bad and the carb is the issue? How can I test to be absolutely sure before I go to the trouble of a)getting a new carb b)rebuilding the old one. The thing that is most irritating is just a week before the engine was running fine and now i am about to pull my hair from the roots. Any help or advice you can send my way is greatly appreciated.
Tuandabrainz:confused:

what psi the pump giving you? The fitting that enters the carb has a screen it clear.

the pump have a screen in it ? It clean.

You could just for testing hook a dc auto pump that for sure after you test it, is giving you close to 6 or maybe 7 psi no more no less then 4 psi.

Under stand you bypass the mechanical pump with a dc pump leave the mechanical pump in place.

If that doesn't help then run the dc pump hooked to a external tank of gas.

The key is the psi the mechanical pump is giving before going to the carb.

Not sure about exactly what the PSI is, I do not know how I would go about actually measuring it. The filters were in fact dirty, I noted that before my original post. The one in the pump needs replacement, but even with it removed and after cleaning the carb filter, I get the same result. I should say that at one point the engine was running properly, so I don't think it is an issue that the pump is not the proper size, but I don't see how it could go bad either, as it is just a mechanical diagphram, and it is still pumping. Is there a setup that I can test the pressure?

Just a hook a gauge to the out put of the pump and crank the motor.

Listen you remove the carb, you turn it over ?

You say the filters were filthy, what does the inside of the carb look like? So we will start with basics, good spark at the plugs at the proper time. and fuel, and air.

I said at the proper time means timing.

Last edited:
sounds like a chunk of debris plugging the needle and seat.

typical when the fuel filters are dirty.

carb doesn't need rebuild - can lift the top half off on the boat to access needle and seat.

re: "unless I cycle the throttle agressively."...
If you get fuel under this condition, the float/valve is probably OK, HOWEVER, there is most likely gunk in the bottom of the carb plugging the jets in the bottom of bowl, thereby preventing any fuel from entering the engine via the venturi and the jets.
Ethanol laced fuel most likely the culprit. Also plugged jets in the bottom of the carb also can manifest as insufficient fuel to the accelerator pump.

Buy a replacement gasket for the carb top (carb to bowl) before you take it apart since these gaskets are often designed to self destruct when you take the top off the carb.

Guys, I disassembled the carb and found that the rubber plunger on the accelerator pump assembly is deteriorated. I have ordered a rebuild kit and am going to redo the whole carb. I'll keep you posted after I put it all back together and test it out again. Also, I checked out the numbers on the carb (7044182). This carb was originally for the mercruiser 120, and would seem to be undersized, but I used it on the chevy 250 I had in the boat and it worked fine. Also, I did some research and the 292 inline sixes came stock with a 1 barrel carb. The two barrel should be sufficient to run this motor then, or am I missing some important detail?

Back