Logo

Charging question

mill686

Regular Contributor
I have an '84 50hp (4-cyl/#6487117). She has a rectifier. This outboard used to show voltage on my DF/FF at high throttle over 16 volts. Lately, she has had readings of between 14 and 15 volts. Outboard runs fine. Just wondering about this.

it shouldn't be over 16 volts. Check at the battery and find out how much it is charging while running. reading should be ,@ idle, between 13 & 14volts. if not, or over 16volts you have a bad rectifier

you may go over 16 volts on a rectifier only charging system on a sealed maintenance free battery or a gel battery..this is a known problem and in most cases will eventually damage or completely kill the rectifier...the battery type should be the type you have to add water to occasionally..

if you have not added any load to the battery i would say you have either a battery going bad or the rectifier that needs replacing...anything that is drawing more current than was being drawn before will drop the voltage...for example a battery that has developed a short..a leak to ground will do it also..anything that would cause additional current flow..

Cooler weather will also increase internal resistance in battery thus taking it longer to charge so the charging voltage will be lower....

Thanks guys. I will look into it all.

Remember, it has a rectifier.
I don't have a maintenance-free battery.
It still remains on the water here in Maryland, and it has been near freezing many days.
I plan on pulling it to avoid ice, and just launch in weather breaks.
When I pull I, I will go over the grounds.

BTW, here's a pic I stole from here a few years back.

Attachments

• Explanation_VG[1].jpg
    Explanation_VG[1].jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 27
Jeff,

Do the bolt holes line up with the current rectifier? What would the wire placement be on those 3 terminals?

Attachments

• 60[1].jpg
    60[1].jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
You'll have to rig up a mount for it. The three wires on your present rectifier go right on it: usually 2 yellows and a red (to the battery).

Jeff

Back