Logo

changing 2013 mercury 50hp to 60hp

mustangdt

Would like to know if anyone could tell me what is required to change a 2013 mercury 50hp to a 60ho. From what I can see the engines are basically the same so I am thinking it is possibly ecm, throttle body, injectors or restrictor plate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It would be cheaper to buy a new motor instead. For the very small gain in power, not worth it. I was in the same boat. I just ended up buying a whole other boat package instead.

Are you in the US?

This applies (been a directive since before your motor was built):

EPA regulations prohibit changes to engines that could affect emissions limits. Per the service manual, "The dealer and/or consumer is not to modify the engine in any manner that would alter the horsepower or allow emission levels to exceed their predetermined factory specifications." The only changes permitted are carburetor jet and gearcase/gear ratio changes for high altitude operation as detailed in applicable Mercury Marine Service Manuals.

Now if doesn't apply to you or you don't care...

You need a 50% horsepower increase to get a 15% increase in "top speed" - since you would not be altering/increasing the "displacement" you would not gain any torque - so no better hole shot, not quicker to plane etc - you would only squeak out a little more speed.

How much?

The difference between 50 and 60 is 12.5%. That would increase your top speed by about 4% - so if you get 30 mph with the 50, count on 31.2 mph with a 60.

Only you can decide if even an hour of your time, much less shedding money from your wallet would be worth maybe 2 mph...

Back