Logo

Changed power pack now tach isnt working

jaymalyon

1989 Evinrude 200 E200TXCEA

Changed out my CDI power pack last night with a new one and now the tachometer is not working. Motor started up fine and the tach needle fluttered erratically for a second then zeroed out. Any idea what could be going on?

I would suggest calling CDI tech at 800-467-3371 make sure you tell them which CDI model you installed. They are extremely helpful.

I would suggest calling CDI tech at 800-467-3371 make sure you tell them which CDI model you installed. They are extremely helpful.

Excellent suggestion. I called them this morning and they were very helpful and knowledgable. They pointed me in the right direction as far as what to test and how. Great company. I had to order a DVA adapter to test my rectifier and stator correctly, but since I do all my own work I figured it was worth it.

What happened with the old pack when it failed? What were the circumstances?

Well, I ordered a new power pack earlier in the week thinking I had an ignition issue. Come to find out, I forgot to tighten one screw during my carb rebuild last weekend and had a considerable fuel leak. The boots on the orange wires going to the coils were all dry rotted so I just went ahead and changed the power pack.

Back