Logo

Changed electronics 1987 115, now has no power

toqwik

Good day! I have a 1987 115 Mercury that was running fine prior to something happening and I have replaced trigger, stator, and switching boxes. When I put the end back on the new trigger I just counted turns from old trigger and reinstalled the same way. Put it in the water and it’s not happy. No throttle at all and just dies when you try to go over half throttle. So I assume I screwed up my timing. Should I adjust on the end link on the trigger or should I just do the complete setting the timing routine?

I had the carbs rebuilt and the guy removed the bolts on the front plate and moved it out of the way. He didn’t disconnect the battery and once he was done when we tried to start there was no spark. There is some idle control box mounted on that plate and the red wire was broke off so don’t know if that shorted it out or something else caused it. Everything was bad except the stator so I went ahead and replaced it while I was there. It was original. Also many of the wires to the control boxes were bare from old age. Everything on the motor was original except 1 switch box. I purchased the boat from original owner.

The guy that rebuilt the carbs maybe missed something. Why were the carbs done and what were the pryor symptoms? Good idea to off the battery before any work. I'm doing a 90 right now.....$1000 in ignition parts....yes, I see wires that were replaced before, why? Does it have anything to do with lack of spark?.....perhaps something shorted out earlier? Certainly. Your trigger is basically "plug and play". Timing should not be THAT far off to produce aforementioned symptoms. I suspect your mechanic is struggling with lack of knowledge.....but it could be I'm wrong.....been wrong many times.

Back