Logo

Champion 2stroke outboard repair

wboat

Hello, I recently bought a 1940s champion 4.2 hp blue ribbon outboard and I am having trouble keeping it running. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction of where to begin. The motor usually starts after a few pulls, and will run for a few minutes and then stop even at high rpms. Sometimes the rpms will get very low and i have to keep pressing and letting go of the choke to keep it running. Its confusing that it turns over reliably, runs for a few minutes and then stops. Any clues about where to start would be very helpful

You're in the wrong forum, however, that type problem is normally due to a clogged restricted fuel filter somewhere in the system.

I hope you are running that thing on a boat, or at least in a large enough container. It has a centrifugal water pump with a siphon return. It will not work well in overly turbulent water. And no, there is no tell-tale nor can you add one.

Thanks for the tips and ya I'm running it on a lake on a small dingy. Are you sure there would even be a fuel filter on a 40s motor? I was thinking it might be the gas line because when I got the motor there was old gas in it that is probably clogging something

There usually was a filter in the outlet of the tank on older motors.---------Not on all motors.------Just look at it closely I guess.----Have an old Champion in my collection.----Also a Majestic that was marketed by Champion folks.

Last edited:
Not knowing your model number, see part number 1J422 Gas Line Elbow and Screen assy.

Attachments

• Page 2.jpg
    Page 2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 127
Thanks for the tips and ya I'm running it on a lake on a small dingy. Are you sure there would even be a fuel filter on a 40s motor? I was thinking it might be the gas line because when I got the motor there was old gas in it that is probably clogging something
Hope you get this. I refurbished a 1J. There is a screen and stone filter in the gas tank. Mine was so plugged that nothing would flow. Remove the copper gas line elbow at the tank. That's where the fuel restriction is. Good luck.

Back