Logo

Centroid fuel sender

james_taylor

Contributing Member
Good morning Gents,
I have a 3 wire Centriod (1988) that I believe to be faulty.
Faulty in then sense that the gauge bounces/fluctuates eratically while engine is running.
I took the advice for testing the sender here.
Shorted out between the G and the S (sender) at the sender and the gauge pegged.
Did the same at the back of the VDO gauge and again, the gauge pegged.

Any additional steps to perform to either confrim or deny the sender is in fact faulty?

Also, what brand (type) could I use to replace it should the exact match not be found in my area?
Any tips on installing a different brand would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
James

James, VDO has a couple different impedance ranges for their fuel gauges, you need to know which one you have. The Centroids are good units IMO, but like anything else; when it's thier time it's thier time. Do you know what mounting style you have; standard bolt pattern or one lage threaded fitting to the tank under sender? There are no moving parts to this unit, just a thin hollow tube that goes into the tank, and some electronics in the head that include pots for consumer adjustments. These pots can sometimes get bad spots in them over time. You can try turning the pots back and forth several times in hopes that it cleans them up internally enough make a good connection. Other than that, there's not much else you can do with them. If you try that, you'll have to go through the calibration process to set it up again. These are not difficult to get, do a Google search, I believe they are in Florida. I've had them sent up here before with no issues. I assume previous diagnostic advice included checking all your connections and wiring at the tank and gauges.

Thanks WoodieMan,

It is the standard 5 bolt arrangement. I did a google search like you suggested and did find them in FLA.
Spoke to a lady named Mary. Having a new one sent North.
She said that the new on will not come with the adjustments like the old one and it will be "pre-calibrated" for my particular tank depth.
I will just install the floor temporarily to keep out any rain until the new one arrives.
Was tempted to convert to a float type. However the lure of of having NO moving parts prevailed.

What part of Canada you in?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
James

Glad to help. The new ones sound good to me; no adjustments needed, can't beat that! What I did find handy with the old ones was that you could set a reserve so to speak. You'd set the empty reading so that you'd still have a reserve if you were in a pinch. I'm in Lake Simcoe.

Last edited:
Back