Logo

CDI Testing - Analog Multi Meter????

Throttlemonkey

I have two Yamaha outboards that are giving me fits, issues are not mechanical and not fuel so I am digging in to the electrical side. I downloaded manuals for each but reading through them they state you need to use an analog multimeter for reading CDI resistances, does anyone know why? I see lots of online CDI testing videos and they are using Digital meters. On one motor all circuits are within sec using a digital meter but one circuits is off by two orders of magnitude...

Thanks

wHflEHtXRzKCQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
6H4281972311

1992 3-cyl 2 stroke 40 hp 40PLRQ
2008 2-cyl 2 stroke 8 HP, can't read model # but they were the same for 10+ years, manual says for 6U/8U

Both manuals were downloaded and appear to be OEM but neither have a LIT # anywhere.

Both manuals have the same statement regarding use of digital Multi meter for diagnosing CDI's

1992 3-cyl 2 stroke 40 hp 40PLRQ
2008 2-cyl 2 stroke 8 HP, can't read model # but they were the same for 10+ years, manual says for 6U/8U

Both manuals were downloaded and appear to be OEM but neither have a LIT # anywhere.

Both manuals have the same statement regarding use of digital Multi meter for diagnosing CDI's

LIT-18616-00-69 is the Yamaha service manual for the 40PLRQ model. I am not seeing anything about the need to use a needle and dial ohm meter.

LIT-18616-01-64 is the Yamaha service manual for the 8 HP two stroke. I am not seeing anything about the need to use a needle and dial ohm meter.

I use a digital auto ranging meter and its seems to work very well, my manual mentions both can be used in certain ways but typically what seems most important is the use of a DVA adapter for a digital meter.

My understanding is the DVA adapter is used for reading coil output voltages with the motor cranking. I have already checked charge/pulser coils and resistance is in spec, it was just two circuits on the CDI that were WAY out of spec. The more reading I do and getting feedback here I am assuming it is fine to use a digital meter for resistance.

I also ordered a DVA and it just arrived, I was going to check output voltages just to be sure but my manuals only give the procedure for using a Yamaha Y-1 tester, they do not give voltage outputs. Does anyone know the Pulser/charge coil voltages on these motors?

Thanks

Back