Logo

Cavitation Plate

bass_bandit

"uuuhhh ,how important is that

"uuuhhh ,how important is that thing? Looks like my prop may have taken it out when the previous owner had the boat,its on a 150 mariner magnum '83 model"

"Hi there!

The cav-plate wo

"Hi there!

The cav-plate would not be there if it was not deemed neccessary... Manufacturers want to save cash...

You'll notice that the boat will not plane properly and also have some prop-slip (read: cavitation) when throttling up. The anti-cav plate prevents air from being sucked into the prop's wash. If this makes sense? Think along the lines of the motor being trimmed too high and motor starts to over-rev. Same principle, not enough water thru the prop's blades. Also, the prop will wear out prematurely due to the excessive strain.

So, you'll end up wasting fuel, not having a pleasant day out and ultimately considering selling the boat because of poor performance.

Hence, have it repaired ASAP!

Regards from a cold, wet and wintery Johannesburg in South Africa!

Benjamin."

"Jack, should have it there as

"Jack, should have it there as stated above. If it has been broken off you have a couple of choices.

Get a piece welded or if their is enough of what was there to get a fastner through, you can go with one of the aftermarket foils (such as doel-fin) etc. There are some which are less "radical" than others if you want to keep the cav plate close to it's origininal size..."

"just to make sure I am talkin

"just to make sure I am talking about the right thing here,it is the piece that kinda hangs down off the fin above the prop,I have seen some boats where it is completly smooth and some where it hangs down,looks like it is made out of cast iron or sumtin"

"thats a trim tab, you can by

"thats a trim tab, you can by a new one for under $20. It serves 2 purposes, 1 for correcting any steering pull to one side, and as a anti-corrosion devise"

Back