Logo

carnk seal QD-17

393Clevor

Regular Contributor
Took the old one out and it looks to be very brittle not sure what it made of but it was in pieces... can the new one be installed without splitting the case? Can I tap it in with a seal tool.. I don't want to break it...
20190711_082310-400.jpg
20190711_082644-400.jpg
20190711_082952-400.jpg

The seal housing is carbon, fairly fragile. It just sits on top of the bearing. As I remember it, no need to split the case. A "O" Ring sits within the carbon seal. It just sits there and the spring arrangement keeps it in place.

Carbon seal - #302036
"O" Ring - #301967

Last edited:
Carefully look at this seal and see how it works.-----It is a mechanical seal !------Do not even think about using a sealer on it !-----Make sure you install it with the correct side to the bearing too.

Carefully look at this seal and see how it works.-----It is a mechanical seal !------Do not even think about using a sealer on it !-----Make sure you install it with the correct side to the bearing too.

I think the two cutouts face the bearing.. I think anyways.. I'll look around and see if I can find some info.. I can't tell by the picture I took, it's to cracked up..

Thanks man..

You may well be wrong there.----It is the narrow raised face that goes to the bearing !

Racer... I've always wondered about that. The service manuals mention the carbon seal upon disassembly... BUT... there is no mention of it upon reassembly... nor is there any exploded view of it large enough to tell the difference in any parts manual.

Myself, in looking at the carbon shell, and reasoning that the two grooves would be for lubrication, I've always had the grooves facing the bearing so as to be lubricated via the bearing... seems to be okay to install in either direction without encountering problems, but to have two different designs on its face area... it does bring forth a question.

Since it is also used as a top main bearing seal on some engines, I would think those grooves, if facing up, would emit oil in the magneto area?... But how would lubricant get in there in the first place with the grooves Not facing the bearing... and would that defeat the seals purpose?

If any member has a engine, untouched by human hands since leaving the factory, and now needs to have that carbon seal removed for any reason... You could answer that question of which-way it faces, and please do.

Last edited:
Post # 10 shows the raised portion that faces the bearing !!!-----I can't believe that folks are so confused by this simple concept of a " mechanical seal "----OK I have experience with mechanical seals that seal against 1000 PSI ( one thousand ) pressure.----Sorry---It is all simple to me.-----Would those 2 grooves be so that the seal can be removed easily !!!-----I think I have an unmolested 1954 QD , but no need to see how the seal is to be installed !!

Really no need to be so freaking insulting while elaborating on your superior intelligence racer. I thought you had mellowed somewhat since your spaced out entry some years back but alas, obviously I was mistaken. Did you just piss me off?... You betcha!

The reason you do not use any kind of sealant is ----The carbon element with the o-ring rotates with the crankshaft.----The upper part of the bearing is the stationary element of this precision seal.---The spring keeps the correct pressure on the carbon so it seals !-------I think it is simple.

Last edited:
Raised ridge faces the bearing. Notches are key slots for driving it in a lathe when manufactured. End of discussion.

Back