Logo

Carburetor Rebuild Kit

SirMako

I bought these from eBay and I must is is a great kit with each kit individual sealed and packed with care. I can't wait till the morning to do a full rebuild on these carbs. I have a 1992 Evinrude 150hp Elence. It has sat sometime so doing a carb rebuild, impeller replacement. Time get her up and running again. I still have a long road since the wiring under the dash needs to be cleaned up and possible battery being moved under the console. It a 1976 Mako 20 center console. I feel bad for neglected her but wife was sick before she passed so it was put on the back burner but now it's time to get back to it. This post was those looking for a good carb kit that not expensive.

firstly sorry for your loss,

Thanks for the post it is really hit and miss when buying from eBay iv had good and bad glad you found one of the good ones and passed on.

Hope you post progress on the refresh!

Had a fellow call me for a gearcase on a 1988 Johnson 50 hp.------He had the carburetors off and installed Amazon rebuild kits.-----We ran the motor for 5 to 10 minutes on a hose.-----I did not like the way the motor ran.----He called me 3 hrs later and after a lake test he had gone to a dealer to get factory kits,----That was 3 days ago and have not had a call since.-----Good luck with these budget kits !!!

Thank you.

Yeah it can be a hit and miss but after I took them out and looked at them, I must say they are as good or better then what I got from Crowley Marine back in the day. Once I get it back up running, I will post progress. My camera pictures don't post due to size of file. I'm not sure why when it did post one picture before but none now.

Chinesem junk...in a month rubber parts will be 3 times their size. here are reveiw from same kit sold on Amazon

1690722784651.png
1690722830756.png

Just had somebody change out Amazon specials after 2 hrs of exposure to gasoline.----Went and bought factory kits at a dealer !

Chinesem junk...in a month rubber parts will be 3 times their size. here are reveiw from same kit sold on Amazon

View attachment 30853
View attachment 30854
I'm not sure where those reviews are from but where I bought these has really good reviews. All one can do is see if they work or not. I'm just trying to get it up and running for now. if they are bad, then lesson learned and move forward but to be honest I did this before with ebay kits and they worked fine but since has sat so long, I am sure they are of need of refresh.

Well you guys won.lol. I did my first carb cleaning and after installing the first new kit. I didn't like how they felt or fit so I ordered a new set that have the lather style hard feel that I have used in the past. The funny thing is they were about maybe another $15.00 in cost. I have used these in the past and they never failed me. They are like the OE type. I figure before I reinstall the carbs, I am going to do the impeller since I have easier access to the shifter. I am also going to do a good cleaning while everything is accessible.

This heat is one pain in the butt when it comes to being out in it even in the shade early morning hours. Figure by the end of the year, I will have a lot of work done with this boat.

I did get another kit off eBay. Yeah, I am going to hear about it I'm sure but to be honest. It's just like the oe type. I understand they come with parts you will and will not use but I must say there are a lot of them I don't see using. The hoses and filters was a little confusing since I have never had a kit that came with them. Thought it was odd. Maybe it's a year thing? I will post a picture. Be easy on me now. Just trying to stay in my budget range.

Rebuild kit.jpg

Looked at a ---" carburetor kit " ---Yesterday.----Fellow used it for about 1 hr.-----Installed factory kits after realizing the blunder.---.----Going to return the junk to the online seller !!

I have actually built two so far and everything went together with no issues. The picture don't show the product very good but they are like the factory type. I still to this day keep those parts in a box to compare. Brass fitting went in with no problems. Also I have rebuilt these crabs a couple of times in the last 15 yrs with kits like this online and never has let me down.

This motor hopefully will last a few more years till I will have to seek out a new brand since parts are getting harder to find and cost goes up as well. It's a shame for this motor has treated me so good over the years. Just not sure which one yet? 4cyl is the way to go from those I have spoken to. My problem is the investment being my age.lol.

A 4 cylinder or 4 stroke ???-----And 4 stroke motors are more expensive to maintain if you have to run to a shop for regular service.

A 4 cylinder or 4 stroke ???-----And 4 stroke motors are more expensive to maintain if you have to run to a shop for regular service.
4 Stroke. lol
I am trying to do research on them ahead of time before it comes the time to re-power. That would by my next question since I would prefer to be able to do my own maintenance.

yeah its a shame that omc is no more but the day i cant run a 2 stroke is the day ill probably get rid of any outboard boats i have. the only other way id go is a mech injection diesel inboard.... im 2 stroke 4 life

I agree. I bought this motor and it was rebuilt, tank tested. It was a coast guard motor that still looked brand new the day I bought it. I have really good luck with it. The only break down was a broken fuel side of plastic part that supplied both oil and gas to the motor. I considered that darn lucky. It's going to be a hard pill to swallow if and when it comes down to replacing but it's clear these parts are disappearing.

BRP is no longer marketing motors.----But I picked up 3 water pump impellers yesterday.-----for 1987 model 6 and 50 HP.---For a 1990 90 HP.----Dealer had them in stock.

BRP is no longer marketing motors.----But I picked up 3 water pump impellers yesterday.-----for 1987 model 6 and 50 HP.---For a 1990 90 HP.----Dealer had them in stock.
Small things yes. I just bought the impeller kit as well. The fuel plastic part for fuel and oil is no longer available ( Can't think of the correct name) but that can be done without having that part. I had to due to it broke on the oil side feed. Not bad talking anything. I love the motor and hope to keep it going for a few good years properly taking care of it.

im not sure what you mean by plastic part for fuel and oil if your talkin about the vro those are still available this site has 10 of em in stock it says. that said ive tossed the vro pumps on my personal engines and mix my fuel cus i dont trust em

There is a fitting on the cowl for oil and gasoline.----Two different size tubes in one piece.-----If that breaks you go to the hardware store and make do.----Had that piece in my hands an hour ago off a 1997 model 90 HP.

Yes, it's called the nipple fuel and oil. I did the same and just made my own as well. It broke on me twice but was lucky to find a replacement but then it broke again so I just built one of my own. Some parts cab be often fabricated to work. Been there and done that myself.
I have heard a few times about people by getting rid of their vro but I have always kept some oil in the fuel but my pump has done fine. Just smokes a little more since there is oil in the fuel as well. I have no plans on changing this motor anytime soon. My plans are to clean and re-paint the motor. I did locate a set a decals for the motor for about $125 bucks. I just know that day will come when parts wont just be available as they once were.

It is remarkable when you can walk into some dealers and find parts for a 60 year old motor in stock.------Tried that at your local car dealer ??-----And parts for a 15 year old motor listed as NLA.

It is remarkable when you can walk into some dealers and find parts for a 60 year old motor in stock.------Tried that at your local car dealer ??-----And parts for a 15 year old motor listed as NLA.
I did find some very odd old parts in stock about 15yrs ago at a NAPA on a small Mercury motor. They were bought out so they are not the same company anymore.

I'm going to set things back till this heat wave is done. I have a lot to catch up on. I still have to drop the lower unit and do a impeller change. Once it's up and running again, I would like to re-paint the motor and put new decals on it. I have had some really good luck with barley any issues with it. I am just doing research ahead on re-powering if needed. I will be in here a lot once I can get into it and do some things like compression check. Thanks for the help.

Does BRP have a factory cranking out O-rings, inlet needles & seats, gaskets...? Of course not. It's all outsourced. Once the existing stock of these OEM commodity parts runs out your only choice will be aftermarket "chinesium junk".
No doubt there are good sources selling the same bits found in the BRP/OMC bags, and others selling knock-offs made from inferior materials. Better get used to reading the reviews to find the sellers you can trust.

Just did a brake job on a car.----You can buy " economy parts "----- " Mid grade " or ---" Premium " parts.----The choice is yours.----I chose premium parts.------BRP can source and I believe does get quality parts.----I see no difference in BRP oil seal kits and seals today compared to 15 years ago !!

I have had some good luck with OE and After market parts. Sometimes there is no choice. I like the term Chinese junk when a lot of parts do come from over seas and Mexico. Companies are more concern about the mighty dollar so they outsource to cheaper labor. OE for Dodge you will often see made in Germany. Like I said ealrier in a post NAPA was bought out by a corporation and you can see the difference in parts. I got what was termed as the premium front rotors for my truck to find the bleeder valve wasn't the same for both sides and tried to replace one and it broke right off. They did replace it but it's clear quality suffers.

Back