Logo

Carburetor Float Bowl Drain Screw

Edchris177

Regular Contributor
Is there anything special about the carburetor drain screw used on a great many outboards, shows same part # from very small motors up to 100+hp?
Working on small outboard the other day, I heard something hit the floor. Despite “hearing” where it hit, & pulling everything out within a 3 meter radius from a crowded workshop, I cannot find the damn thing. The part missing is the drain screw.
I have a good assortment of SS bolts, but the shortest is 1”. Can I just cut down one of those, (NC thread), to about 1/2”, file the cut end smooth & put it in?
Are the OEM made with a tapered pipe thread to facilitate sealing, or are they NC relying on the gasket to seal?
It won’t have the screwdriver slot, but that doesn’t matter, lots of room for a box end wrench.
I know it’s a few months before I can boat test this kicker, but like a kid with a new Christmas toy, I can’t wait that long.

OK, so I found the damned screw. In the process I got much of my small indoor shop cleaned.
It is nothing special, simply a 1/4” bolt, NC thread 3/8” length.
I didn’t have a proper washer, so I made one out of a bit of broccoli elastic, as a temporary redneck fix.
I actually cut the one I made shorter than the original. One could cut a slot in the head, but on this little 6hp, you can’t get a screwdriver in anyway. Dealer parts shows this little bolt at $8, ($11 in Canada) + tax, so I’d buy one & cut it, or if you have parts motors, seems they used the same part on many different years/sizes of motors.
95F1A719-1CA3-4620-9820-130032C7AA07.jpeg

Yes, Ed. My shop messy too....if it hits the floor, it could be gone for good. My workmate, my wife's Mom, can usually find it, but sometimes she's not here. At 81 years old, she is still sharp.
All those little cap screws are the same. Got a box full of 'em here.

Back