Logo

Carbs misadjusted?

Georgiaboy67

Advanced Contributor
This is an E115eleua 1997.
https://youtu.be/iMqGyDnc3z4
attached is the link to the video
So listen VERY CLOSELY at what the engine sounds like slowing down. It starts at 6 or 7 seconds into the video. And by the 8th second the engine sounds like it should when slowing down. Like I said listen close!! The engine sounds like someone rolling their tongue when you decelerate. Does it at any speed. Only on slowing down too. Been doing it since I got the powerhead replaced and carbs rebuilt last year. Finally got the major issues taken care of now I need this one to go away before it turns into big issue. I know the engine shouldn't do this. If you pull the throttle back fast it does it even worse! Any ideas on what could cause it? You have to listen closely to the tune of the engine when it slows down. Please help! Other then this the engine runs great

sounds like a bit of back pressure and also a touch of fuel starvation.
I would strip the carbs back down again and get rid of he dirt. do a lync sync and double check timing.

to me it sounds like one of the carbs starving on low speed side.

Last edited:
Is that noise coming from the forward gear and clutch dog ?---------------The motion of the boat may be turning the prop faster than the gear is turning.-----------TRy this in the driveway with motor in forward gear and you turning the prop by hand.----------I did not look at your video so I might be totally wrong here.

Can you Look at the vid? To me It doesn't sound like a lower unit, it sounds like something in the engine, my guess is the carbs. I just replaced all the bowls. Sounds like something clogged at low speeds. It does not like to idle very well. Especially if you start it up sometimes it won't pick up and just dies.(classic 2 stroke)

That's what I was thinking phillinjackI haven't done much with the carbs. Only thing I have personally done is replace the float bowls(day before yesterday) the powerhead and carb rebuild was done by. A shop,(which I will never go back to)

I looked at a few of your vids on youtube, engine sounds horrible on the low side, but ok when flat out, to me that says dirty carbs or lync n sync is out.
the way it picks up from about mid range is ok, but below that sounds horrible.I would definitely give the carbs a real good clean, soak n carb cleaner too.
The other rattle might also go once its running correctly.

I looked at a few of your vids on youtube, engine sounds horrible on the low side, but ok when flat out, to me that says dirty carbs or lync n sync is out.
the way it picks up from about mid range is ok, but below that sounds horrible.I would definitely give the carbs a real good clean, soak n carb cleaner too.

I think the first video I ever posted was last year. Disregard that one. The one where the engine would not ever turn over and constantly kept dying. That powerhead is gone, the wrong pistons were installed and I had bad ignition coils. I also had a bad starter and missing teeth on flywheel. All that was replaced.

which other video did you watch that made you think it sounded terrible at low speed? Which is where all my issues are currently. I got rid of the air leak too. It was a bad vapor pump.

no not the vapur one, you have a few videos
remanufactured............ it sounds crap till it hits about 4500, at 8 to 10 seconds it pics up nice. it then runs on all 4 good. ( a low sped jet dirty )
idle dropping......... again no good sounds like fuel problem.

and when it does idle its not running on all 4 like it should, I can hear It missing. ( sounds like only running on 2 maybe 3 cylinders.

I think bottom carb is going to be the problem.

Last edited:
I guess I can try to figure out how to work on the carbs. Only touched the bowls haven't messed with the other stuff on the carb. Do I have to remove anything else in carb to clean it out with carb cleaner? Or just remove the float bowl and blow through all passages on the carb? On the reman video the motor picked up because I gave it more throttle. It's supposed to sound like that. As for the idle dropping, it's what im still dealing with now. It doesn't sound like it runs on all 4 when I first crank it up after a run on the water. Which is what happened today.

Okay thanks. The high speed jets got cleaned Friday evening when we replaced float bowls. They were actually clear but put a little carb cleaner in it anyway I assume no9 is low speed jet?

As long as you take the top carb off it's very easy lol. Otherwise yes it was a pain(tried to get bottom carb off with top one installed..wasn't happening.

I can't tell is no9 the low speed on the outside of the carb or inside? I know the high speed is in front of screw on float bowl. I can't tell where on the carb the low speed jet is

I don't think the ignition system would cause the gurgling noise I hear when I decelerate. It had about 2 month old untreated gas in it that I ran through it. It got worse and then i put fresh gas in it and it didn't get much better.

So apparently I don't have a low speed jet. It's an adjustable needle. I have a fixed intermediate and high speed jet. But the low speed is just a needle. I need back pressure and I'm too tired for the lake tonight. So tomorrow I'm gonna bottom the low speed needle. Then turn it out counter clockwise until I hit 5 3/4 turns. Per the service manual that's the initial low speed spec. Says initial low speed spec is 5 3/4 turns. And do that on all 4 carbs. And check to see if that fixes it. It's had carbs adjusted too rich that the entire boat shook when I slowed down, now it just rolls at me. So I'm gonna see if it's just Adjusted too rich which makes the engine run lean. Does that sound right to y'all? If the carb is adjusted too rich could it cause the engine to lean out?

So I couldn't help but start playing with the engine. Just had to lol. I pulled the bottom carb off and noticed that the float in the float bowl was not level either the gasket. It had a very tiny gap between the float and the bowl. You really had to squint in order to see through the gap. Could this have been my issue?

Yeah I'm going to the lake tonight to play with it. Can't you just turn the engine off, adjust the 4 carbs, and then turn it back on and let it idle for 3 minutes to see how it runs? And then keep doing it til you find that sweet spot?Manual told me the boat must have back pressure, must be unrestrained, and trimmed level. I was too tired when I got home yesterday. I was told on my low speed needle it's supposed to be a flat head screw driver, and it shows this in the manual specifically for my engine too, but all 4 carbs have Allen wrench slots.. could these be the wrong low speed needles? Since I broke the engine it and ever wanted to idle well, but I always thought it was just cause it was an old 2 stroke rude...

So tonight I played with the carbs a little. I had also dumped some star tron in the fuel. I ended up turning the carbs 1/8 of a turn counter clockwise and the majority of the rolling/gurgling noise faded away. But my idle is still noticeable lower then it used to be. I feel like I'm running into an ignition system issue like flyingscott stated.. sounds like I'm down a cylinder

Can't you just turn the engine off, adjust the 4 carbs, and then turn it back on and let it idle for 3 minutes to see how it runs? And then keep doing it til you find that sweet spot?Manual told me the boat must have back pressure, must be unrestrained, and trimmed level.

If your not going to follow the factory set-up instructions how can you expect good results???You are balancing 4 separate cylinders...

It's okay I left the engine running. I wanted to make sure they were all out 5 3/4 turns before I started messing with them. They all were actually about 5 1/2turns roughly . So the rolling mostly disappeared, and the idle wasn't as rough. But it is still noticeably lower

Figured it out just to let y'all know.. i guess i can't count any better then the guys who did all the reman work... #2 carb was actually at 6-3/4 turns out. The rest I determined they were at 5-3/4. What I did this time (which would have made life much easier the first time) was get a black sharpie and made marks on each low speed needle, and turned em all in til they seated then back out at 5-3/4. And whaddaya know? The boat ran smooth and the idle is good now. Lol just in time for my sei foot to break on me friday night

Back