Logo

Carb Issue

volphin

"Hi all, I was doing me routi

"Hi all, I was doing me routine tune up on my 1989 4.3L/Alpha package and noticed that the plugs were black and gas covered. Now granted I had just run the engine at idle to warm up the engine oil a bit for a change... She has been running OK, but with a very noticable gasping hesitation off idle. This is an Edelbrock 1409 Marine carb (Weber). Eddy tech said could be too much fuel and to verify the electric fuel pump is not exceeding 7 psi and check the float level. Pump is a Mr Gasket 12S rated for 4 to 7 PSI. I am putting a guage to it this weekend. There is a noticeable odor of gas, not super strong mind you, but there. in the doghouse.

This was a brand new carb last season, and is running the smaller metering rods and jets for the 4.3L. (Edelbrock kit 1495) Oddly enough, I do spy a bit of gas around the secondaries where the weights are.. only on the fuel inlet side though. I'm going inside it to check this weekend. I know we have carb guys here who have torn into their share... thanks for any help in advance.

FYI timing is on spec at idle of 650-700 or so?"

"Sounds like you may have a st

"Sounds like you may have a stuck float or needle/seat causing a high fuel level. This would cause a very rich mixture. Any smoke at all? The Webers have two floats I believe, one each side, so only one may be causing trouble.
Rod"

"You might want to add a fuel

"You might want to add a fuel pressure regulator to keep the pressure below 5 psig. I've had floodingproblems with carbs at pressures above that. Holley makes a good, adjustable one for 30 bucks.

Jeff"

"Thanks for the help guys! I

"Thanks for the help guys! I tore into it this weekend and gave her a carb tune up. New needles seats, etc. The float drop was about 1/4 inch too low as well. Hmmmmm. Thus far, all is good. Running pretty good. I put a gauge on my fuel line and it reads 6 to 7 psi. Maybe I DO need a regulator. I'll look for one Jeff. Would have a part number on that would ya? Thanks Again!"

Back