Logo

Carb high speed jet broken and blocked

BenC

Guys,

I've been working on my 50 HP '87 Evinrude for the last couple of days. I've replaced the VRO for a normal fuel pump.
Engine (still) bogs and dies on throttle so disassembled the carb and found the problem to be in the high speed jet being broken and closed; no fuel running through. (which is not uncommon for this issue)

The problem I now have is that one jet is broken and are stuck in the float chamber.

Any tips how to remove them without needing to replace the float chamber?

Original jets are 50,- each. Would there be a cheaper replacement part or solution?

Top Carb:
High Speed Jet Carb 1b.jpg High Speed Jet Carb 1.jpg

Lower Carb
High Speed Jet Carb 2.jpg

Last edited:
It is almost a given that the jets will be stuck so bad that the soft brass slots are destroyed when attempting removal.

If a jet is stuck, I always just immediately go to the heat method. I do not use torches, I use a heat gun.
Heat the whole bowl up for a good long time....maybe 30 minutes. The bowl will be too hot to touch.

Then try removing the jet with the proper size screwdriver. Also, using an easy-out will be more successful when the jet/bowl is heated.

I have also drilled them out, but that is very risky.

Will try the het gun with the easy-out tool.
Torch will be to hot and will likely melt and bend or break the aluminum bowl when putting force on it.

Any chance for a cheaper jet replacement other than the orginal 50,- replacement?

The jet is in really tight and will likely break a easy out. I would try a reverse drill bit the size of the inside threads and carefull drill it close to center as possible. Have you tried looking for a used float bowl on ebay?

When installing or removing a jet just grind a wider screwdriver so it fits the jet nice and snug they are real tight and using the wrong tool will muck them up. Be sure and install the new one nice and tight.

The jet is in really tight and will likely break a easy out

I highly doubt it as jet is brass and it will strip or ream out before easy-out breaks, as posted heat it and it will come out. I use a torch lamp....

Last edited:
The jets are brass. One is broken and an easy-out tool is not getting it out.
Ruined one of the bowls (aluminum) because of excessive heating to get it out.. :(
Need to go for new bowls which I can get for 12,- each.

I’ve seen the posted links for the jets but they don’t ship to the Netherlands..

Part 326526: ORIFICE PLUG, #50 D - 50 models
Part 330195: FLOAT CHAMBER ASSY. Bowl: 330503

Back