Logo

Carb always gummed up

dave

Contributing Member
" I've got a 17' Invad

" I've got a 17' Invader I/O with a mercarb carberator. I have to rebuild it at least once a season because the carb gets gummed up from the gas. I put an inline filter in there before the fuel pump (which has a filter also) so I can't figure out how it's getting gummed up. When I rebuild it, there's a bunch of what looks kind of like sand, but it's dried up gas I think.

Any ideas?? I live in Houston where we have 'reformulated gas' to reduce emmissions. A mechanic said that gums up carbs.

Oh, I used a regular fuel pump, not a marine one when I replaced it. I've since realized that may be bad. Is it?? Is there a good place online to get marine parts like that? "

" Hey Dave,
Your problem is b

" Hey Dave,
Your problem is bacteria in your fuel tank.
You have to get the fuel tank completley cleaned out and treated with an antibacterial fuel treatment. All the fuel lines should be cleaned as well and the rubber lines, if any, replaced.
If you need any other info on this you could call me at Dania Marine, 1-800-748-7739.

Thanks, Gabriel "

" Dave, That happened to me o

" Dave, That happened to me once(really twice in the same weekend) on my '88 4.3LX Mercruiser. I rebuilt the carb, and the mechanic who sold me the rebuld kit said it was water in the gas. He said install a water seperating filter (not std equipment on mine). I have not had a relapse since, and it had been more than a year. I have never heard that Gasoline can have a bacteria problem! "

Back