Logo

Can't tilt 48SPL

PhilSch

Regular Contributor
1994 J48ESLERD will not raise up. I understand these motors have a cable actuated gas charge cylinder designed to assist in lifting the motor but I can not get the motor to move more than a few inches when I pull the Tilt Assist Lever rearward. I imagine the cable is broken but I don't see a cable anywhere. Do I need to pull the engine off the boat to work on it?

I've read the gas charged cylinders are notoriously unreliable and expensive. Is there a work around like simply removing the cylinder if you don't care about the assist function or will the motor not lock down if I remove it? I'd be satisfied if I could just raise or lower the motor manually.

I ordered a factory manual but it won't be here for approx 10 days. I presume I have to take the motor off the boat to get access to the assist cylinder so I can diagnose what the problem is. Can someone confirm that? Or if there is some trick to get access to the cable/cylinder without removing the motor please let me know. Thanks!

I took the motor off the boat today. The cable and actuator are intact and everything looks good. No corrosion. Is it likely the cylinder is frozen just because something broke internally?

I tried to remove the cylinder but the lower shaft won't budge. I ordered a manual but it's approx a week away so I have no way to look up disassembly procedure. Is there anyone out there that has taken the cylinder off one of these motors that could describe how to go about it?

Likely less trouble to find a power trim / tilt unit , that is a " non repairable " item.

Last edited:
Back