Logo

Cant remove trim untit from motor!

Luked123

Hey guys, I have a 1995 40HP evinrude motor, and i have a leak coming from the top of the trim/tilt unit.
I can get a seal kit and repair it no problem. Im just at a loss as to how to remove the pin/bolt that is attaching the shaft of the tilt unit into the motor, bolts wont budge, tried tapping it out,used lubrication.
I dont know if im missing something or if its just very seized. Seems like it could only come out one way as i dont really have access to other side.
I have attached photos to show you what im on about haha
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hey guys, I have a 1995 40HP evinrude motor, and i have a leak coming from the top of the trim/tilt unit.
I can get a seal kit and repair it no problem. Im just at a loss as to how to remove the pin/bolt that is attaching the shaft of the tilt unit into the motor, bolts wont budge, tried tapping it out,used lubrication.
I dont know if im missing something or if its just very seized. Seems like it could only come out one way as i dont really have access to other side.
I have attached photos to show you what im on about haha
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
I had this problem with a 1999 Johnson 25hp 3cylinder. I used drift pin set from Harbor Freight and a heavy hammer and finally got it to slowly budge by driving it left to right. There is a retainer pin that must be removed and I worked on it for weeks off and on until I got it. Busted knuckles require extra time to heal and forget the pain. Problem is you can’t get a direct hit on the pin and you need to hit the pin left handed. I polished the pin and lubed it before driving it back in after leak was fixed. Looks like it was designed to be removed with a slide hammer but it was never coming out that way. Happy hammering and good luck!

Back