Logo

Cant identify my engine or outdrive new to boats

VERA1979

I bought a 1984 21' searay cuddy. it supposedly has a 305 mercruiser in it. the air cover says 228 but it has a edelbrock performer intake and carb on it. the only #'s that i can make out is on the rear left side of the block it says GM 3970014 and rear right it says TS CONV2
as for serial #'s on the right front all i can make out is TO9 and then under that says 15 10108.

The outdrive has a 1.50 and serial # of 6713037
and the transom part has a serial # of 6700432

Can anyone help me??? I need to know if this is a merc engine or what. and I need to replace the alternator on it. Tried to order one and dealer said he needed the engines #'s..

3970014 is a 350 so the block has been replaced at some time...but that doesn't make the alternator any different
1984 228 Mercruiser is all any dealer needs... Shop elsewhere

if you insist on dealing with morons, the serial number range for a 228 is 5170009-up... probably won't get the guy any closer to getting you the right alternator

78403 A 1 is the original alt part number, but who knows if you have the original 28 years later... especially after the engine has been changed
but you can drop that number in the "part number search" at the top of this page and see if the ones that come up look like yours

It will also give you an idea of pricing and options

Last edited:
Back