Logo

Can't get taken off,won't come out of the hole.NEED HELP!!

flat line

Finally got to put my boat in the water after all last year putting a new motor in and yesterday replacing the impeller in the lower unit. but it will not come out of the hole, i trim it just like i was shown how to but it hits in the area of 2300 rpms and it hits a wall and will not go. it is a 94 vip with a 5.0 (305) mercruiser with a alpha one out drive. We thought everything was great, because out of the water it runs absolutely perfect. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.​

So the engine stops a 2300 rpm. If the engine was revving way up but the boat was not going any faster I would say your prop is cavitating, and you need to trim down more. It could be the wrong size prop, or the throttle cable needs adjusted. Is the motor NEW or reman, or did you pull it out of a truck. MORE info please.

check advance weights in the distributor
new motor from where? what cam is in it?
start with linkage and cables as holinwtr suggests
make sure choke is opening
watch the fuel down carb throat
all the basics

out of the water they all run great.... even on 5 cylinders ... under load it's a whole new ballgame

Last edited:
The motor is a long block from rapido marine. The cam I don't know. The prop is a 23 which was on it when used to run. And I had the trim all the way down and even played with it to try to get moving. The motor would not rev past the 2300 area, as if I had something holding it back. I am boggled at this point, I have no clue what to do, any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

just took the breather off the car and when i gave throttle the butterflies on the carb did not open, should they open?

flat line same way here!! i got new prop kghost said a stainless prop 21 pitch . and a stainless needs to be a 17!!! so i got a 15/1/4 18 alum will try the weekend hope it works!! mine is a 350 5.7. let us know i will. good luck! my carb is a 600 cfm edlebrock.

If you have a 305 2 barrel carb and a thunderbolt V ignition.

When you swapped all the parts did you remeber to install the knock sensor?

This condition is typical of a bad ignition timing control module..........

Last edited:
If you have a 305 2 barrel carb and a thunderbolt V ignition.

When you swapped all the parts did you remeber to install the knock sensor?

This condition is typical of a bad ignition timing control module..........

I have a 4 barrel carb ,and we installed everything back on that came off the origanal block.

it is a long block from rapido marine, it is suppose to be ready to go when it arrives at your door.

you have to check compression and do the other basic checks everyone is suggesting.
it's supposed to go, but it doesn't.... so go twist some wrenches

I never trust static valve set on a boat engine - I set valves with a compression tester and a starter button

My dad bought this boat brand new in 94 used it for 32.6 hours then my grandfather got cancer and the boat was parked in the barn from then till I took out last year and started this process of bringing it back to life. The block that came out of it was a 5.0 and to my knowledge it has had this prop on it right after he brung it home and took the aluminum off and replaced with this ss prop.We did a compression test after all was done and back together, I do not remember the #'s but according to our info the test #'s were good. Setting the valves will be over my head,but thanks for the hint. I greatly appreciate all of the pointers from everyone. I am going to dig into it in the morning and see what happens.Thanks again!!

yes a beauty, bet your dog is also.

Want to talk about the motor ?

Reset the valves no back talk !

Then get back to us.

They maybe to tight.

Then we can talk about how nice your house looks.

Use the compression gauge to set them 170 all around.

All the plugs out on a warm motor. Throttle down.

I'm kidding around with you i got to break you in right. You have to see how i talk to my sons when they don't listen.

Last edited:
Back