Logo

Can't get my 2012 9.9 209cc 4-Stroke started

Hey guys,
I'm gonna be detailed as possible because I know there is someone here who can help. I got the 2012 9.9 long shaft last year. Looked and ran great. While I was working on my boat I kept it in the garage on a stand and ran it every two weeks or so. Started first pull each time.

I've since splashed my sailboat and now keep the boat at the marina. I have removed the tiller and added a universal non-electric remote controller. For the first few months, I had no problems at all. I'd use the motor to get off the dock and back on the dock and an occasional motor sail if I lost the wind. A few months back it seemed like it was getting harder to start and I found some water in the bottom of my fuel tank. I got rid of that fuel, got a whole new fuel tank, added a fuel water separator, flushed the lines and carb and got it running again. However, it wasn't a one pull start any longer and it would not start most times after I was out and it had ran a while and needed to get back on the dock.

I decided to clean and rebuild the carburetor. I ordered the universal kit online and cleaned the heck out of it and the jets and replaced the gaskets, float, and put it back together. When I reinstalled the carb, I put in new spark plugs, pulled out the choke, pumped up the ball, and gave it a pull.

On the second pull, the dang pull cord broke. I replaced the pull cord the next day and there was an immediate issue. The pull cord was VERY hard to pull and I didn't want to break anything so I stopped trying and took it off and reinstalled it a few more times. Still doesn't start and now it pulls most times, but once in a while the pull rope just stops and you can't pull it.

I've pulled each plug and checked to see if I'm getting spark and I am. Now the crazy part. When I removed the plugs, it seems like they are soaked in fuel and dripping. Then I pull the starter rope with the plugs out they spit a large amount of fuel out and keep spitting fuel for the next 4 or 5 pulls. I know the cylinders shouldn't be filled with gas. The squeeze ball gets hard, but i can keep squeezing and it leaks down like there is something allowing fuel to leak by.

I've returned the old spark plugs and the result is still the same. There is not even a hint of fuel burn or trying to turn over. It just pulls and nothing, over and over.

I really don't know anything much at all about outboards. Can someone please help me? I can't seem to find a mechanic willing to come to me.

-Adam

Back