Logo

Canister versus newer spin on type fuel/water seperators

nightstalker

Regular Contributor
Are the older style canister (with replacable filters) better than the newer spin on fuel/water seperators for my 1990 Crusader FWC 454's? Is there an advantage/disadvantage to using either style?
Thanks,
Nightstalker

They are "greener", since you are tossing only what needs to be discarded. However, my choice is to use a filter that has a built in drain at the bottom for water/sediment checks.

the other advantage is that you can relocate them to a better position for servicing. My Stb side canister filter was really hard to get to.

I mounted Racor's to the underside of my cockpit floor which is a huge improvement.

Bob

Dave and Bob nailed it!
When you relocate this "Off-Engine", you take the filter further away from yet another heat source.
Off Engine (remotely located) is far better, and the spin-on cartridge style is far superior......, IMO.

If cost is not a factor, go with the Inboard version of the RACOR.
A standard base can be used with the RACOR of the correct p/n.
All cartridges use the same lower bowl threads!

Be sure to leave room underneath for drain plug access and a drain catch container.

NOTE: the plastic bowl to the right is for O/B's ONLY.

images

Thanks, I like the idea of moving them away from the heat. I probably wouldn't have thought of leaving room underneath for a drain catcher. That's why I ask you guys.

Nightstalker

Back