Logo

Can I use aluminum props on a Mercruiser Bravo III instead of stainless steel?

dvermette

[FONT=&quot]I have a 2012 Bayliner 285 cabin cruiser with Mercruiser Bravo III that comes with stainless steel props. This summer I hit a rock and had to replace the entire stern drive. I'd like to replace the stainless props with aluminum ones to avoid this much damage in the future but Mercruiser does not recommend it but will not give me a good reason why...[/FONT]

I have no idea why not, but here is the truth. Stainless is 6 times stronger than aluminum so props can be formed very thin with stainless. This makes them slightly more efficient. I repair both stainless and aluminum. Aluminum alloys cover a wide variety of applications, some have silicon, others magnesium, to name a couple. Since the blades are tapered more with a thicker body in the center and running to the base......they don't cut the water quite as effectively.

I don't think you can buy aluminum propellers for your drive. They are stainless for good reason as mentioned above.

I have no idea why not, but here is the truth. Stainless is 6 times stronger than aluminum so props can be formed very thin with stainless. This makes them slightly more efficient. I repair both stainless and aluminum. Aluminum alloys cover a wide variety of applications, some have silicon, others magnesium, to name a couple. Since the blades are tapered more with a thicker body in the center and running to the base......they don't cut the water quite as effectively.

Thank you for the replies...much appreciated!

Ive never seen any aluminum props for bravo iii drives. Older Volvo duoprops were available with aluminum props. I suspect it may have something to do with the design of the hub area, aluminum might not be string enough.

bottom line keep up on the insurance premiums...

and another reason would be the Bravo III crowd is not typically an aluminum crowd. Why develop and market something to an audience that's not generally interested. I suspect the amount of protection aluminum may offer is overstated anyway.

and another reason would be the Bravo III crowd is not typically an aluminum crowd. Why develop and market something to an audience that's not generally interested. I suspect the amount of protection aluminum may offer is overstated anyway.

I have a 21 ft heavy Cobalt. 350/5.7 4bbl Alpha one Gen I and have been running Aluminum props for 25 years and have destroyed at least 20 + props hitting rocks and other submerged objects................. I have yet to have to replace any gears sets or prop shafts and the Prop Shaft and it still runs true.

Therefor Aluminum props work and avoid much more costly repairs............Where as If i had been running Stainless steel I would have had to replace the prop shaft and possibly gear sets many times over.

A new aluminum prop is ~$140-$180, Rebuilt is approx 1/2 that cost. Stainless steel new costs well over $300 and rebuilt if it can or will be done based on damage will cost $150+

Gear sets are what $1000.

So I will happily spend hundreds over time for aluminum vs thousands for stainless steel and gear sets

Interesting, so the OP's original question remains basically unanswered......except that stainless steel props are slightly more efficient. See my post #2........for what it's worth!
Guess the OP bailed......this threads been too beaten up.

No, you can't. Not in their 2021 catalog anyway.
I don't believe anyone sells an aluminum B3 set.
Yeah they are only showing stainless in their prop selector. Never seen any aluminum ones. I have a buddy in the Chesapeake who had corrosion issues on his Biii was hoping to swap out for aluminum but couldn’t find any.

Back