Logo

Can I operate the engine with the sterndrive tilted up

juniinc

"I have a Four Winns 196 w/ 4.

"I have a Four Winns 196 w/ 4.3 OMC I/O.
I've just read my manual & it says,,,
"DO NOT OPERATE the engine with the sterndrive tilted up. Severe damage to the engine drive system can result"
I live on the lake so she is docked in the shallow water.
I need to tilt the trim up about half way to get in & out of there.
What should I do?
Thanks in advance."

"I have an old OMC and it cost

"I have an old OMC and it costs me at least $900 each time I have to change out the ball gear and gimble. Running it while up damages both very quickly. I imagine that your problem is something similar, or even more costly if a newer model. I push off as best I can and use a long oar to push on the bottom. Otherwise, two people, each with an oar, can get you to deeper water. Sorry, I have nothing more imaginative."

"Thanks Steve.
I've just

"Thanks Steve.
I've just talked with a few shop.
I was told, not to run it in high RPM while up,,,
But it MIGHT be ok to run it in low RPM(idle) while half way up for a couple of minutes?
Am I still taking a chance? more input would be much appreciated."

"I suspect you have a Cobra ou

"I suspect you have a Cobra outdrive ?( 2 hydraulic rams on either side of the drive for raising/lowering)

If so then the drive shaft is connected with 2 universal joints so you can run the drive in a tilted up position. Try to minimize how high you raise and don't go over 1,000 RPM's, the higher you raise it and the higher you rev it the harder it is on these joints. Does your dash have a trim gauge?"

"Steve, 1991.
Bob, yes it&#39

"Steve, 1991.
Bob, yes it's the Cobra(2hydraulic rams attached)
nice to know it is connected with 2 U joints
happy.gif
. There is a trim gage on my dash & I will do my best to minimize em.
Thanks.
292670.jpg
"

Back