Logo

Can I bypass the yellow wire to the selenoid?

kssnooz

I have a 79 Evinrude outboard. It has been in cave storage for 7 years, dry and covered. Supposedly worked last time my sister had the boat out.

I have 12.46 volts at the battery, at the positive side of the solenoid, and at the ignition switch. I have jumped the positive to the starter and get it to raise and turn. I have jumped direct from the battery to the yellow terminal on the solenoid and the starter turns. I did replace the ignition switch due to lost key(but have verified correct wiring pattern). When I turn the key I get the primer pump noise, but no solenoid activation, no starter, nothing. I have verified that the neutral cutout is working correctly inside the remote control by manually holding it down and the primer pump activates when depressed.

I really feel that somewhere the yellow wire going to the solenoid is grounded out or broken, but I cannot find where.

Is it possible to run a wire direct from the battery to the yellow terminal on the solenoid with a toggle switch or momentary switch in it to bypass the yellow wire coming from the ignition switch all the way back to the engine?

If so, how would you suggest that I do that?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

-Brian

Model # is ?------1980 and newer models had a primer VALVE that replaced choke flappers.-----It is a valve and not a pump.

Thanks everyone.
Figured it out today. The main negative from the battery was going to a terminal block in another compartment and for some reason that was not giving enough connection to get the solenoid to engage even though I had continuity from the battery to the engine and could read voltage at the solenoid.
Just took the terminal block out and wired everything direct to the battery for now.

Next issue is now that we have replace spark plugs and I have fresh fuel going to the engine but doesn't seem to be getting any spark. I removed the plugs one by one and while seated in the plug cables, tried to get the arc against the engine block but couldn't see any. So if you have any thoughts on why my Evinrude model 70973R cranks but wont turn over or get spark, let me know.
Thanks again.

Back