Logo

Can anyone help

rob

I have a Johnson 70 hp....70E

I have a Johnson 70 hp....70ESL75 to be exact...I was wondering if you can lubricate the steering system on this ...the engine is attached to an older Glastron trihull..I believe it is a mechanical push pull system.....can i just put some marine lube on the shaft of the steering system...it feels kind of dry..and when i turn the wheel to one side ..i hear like a slight sound like it might need lube..wasn't sure...thanks for any info you can share with me.

Rob

" i dont see why not, a little

" i dont see why not, a little lube never hurt anything...that i know of...good luck "

" Rob,

In agreement with bo

" Rob,

In agreement with bob; steering parts are something that deserve lube on a regular basis. Use a general purpose grease, a gen purpose marine grease would be even better. There are a few places to lube, some have fittings, if not, just grease liberally. Your steering cable, at the end next to the engine, has a piston (steering ram) that slides in and out of a tube located on the outboard (tilt tube), there is an arm that actually turns the engine and a bar that connects the steering ram to the arm. If things are really bad, it may be neccesary to detach the rod from the ram and loosen the nut that holds the cable onto the tilt tube, slide the cable out and grease in the tube etc..

Sometimes there are fittings on the middle and/or ends of the tilt tube, grease those until you see grease spilling out of somewhere. Grease the hell out of the steering ram, getting as much into the tube as possible and turn the wheel as you do it to work it in. The other place that needs grease are the parts that allow the outboard to "swivel" on the mount; here there is a cylinder inside of a shaft than runs vertically in front of the outboards "leg"; there is usally a fitting or two to allow you to grease inside.

Jon "

Back