Logo

Can anyone comment on vintage and HP of this engine?

bigtime_mcalpine

Regular Contributor
This one is up for sale in my facebook marketplace. Price is very good but I can't seem to find any similar images on the net and seller doesn't know HP...fishy?

johnson.jpg

Not much to go on, but my first guess is a 1960-ish 10hp or 18hp.

EDIT: Not a 10hp. Revised guess is 1962-ish 18hp.

Last edited:
These are excellent motors ( if you can do your own repair work ) in the 62 / 63 / 64 vintage.-----It could be a 5-1/2 HP , 10 HP or 18 HP.-----The 18 HP would have 5 bolts that hold the lower unit on.-----More pictures could narrow it down in a heart beat.

I did not zoom in on the picture.---Agreed it is the 18 HP model FD-17 I think.-------I do not believe it was going to fall over in that truck / trailer.

Last edited:
Yes...these guys are dynamite. This motor is also a short shaft so it has to be used on a 16" transom. It takes the regular single line fuel tank. Look for signs of overheating on the cylinder head which is painted white like the rest of the motor. If it has been overheated, the paint will be browned. Then we have a problem.

The 18 is the only one that would have the ring gear on the flywheel.-----So is it an FD-17 ?----If you just bought this thing the first step is to remove recoil starter.------Then remove inspection plate on top of flywheel.------You will see 2 cracked coils or 2 replacements.-----On more than one occasion have I taken one of these apart to find the internals to be just like new.----These motors were often not used much in the day.-----Folks back then did not have as much leisure time compared to today.

Last edited:
Looks like some rust around, like on fuel coupling and some idiot work on tiller handle. I think it was poorly stored, but the paint color on exhaust side cover looks okay. A compression test is a must before a decision is made.

Does look a lot the the 18. Can you get any numbers at all, like off the block? Maybe do a reverse look-up on the engine serial number.

It has been clearly stated that it is the 18 HP shown in the pictures.---Judging by memory on the paint color it is a 1963 FD-17.

Hose clamp on tiller for starters....gotta read the "warning signs". I go to auction sales alot....see crazy stuff all the time. Racer, you been around way more than me. If I had half your knowledge, I would retire and write a book on how to fix outboard motors.

Certainly you know as much as me that the small bolts/slotted cap screws come loose under the throttle twist grip, then the indicator band binds and gets broken and falls off......next some operator with infinite wisdom puts a beautiful hose clamp on to fix everything.

Sorry to say, but I don't have good feelings about the history of this motor. A picture can be worth a thousand words.

Back