Logo

Can’t get spark

Brad 22

Merc 5.7, installed a hei replacement ignition kit. Don’t have spark when I hook up the timing tool. Discount the timing tool and it has spark and runs but can’t hook up the timing tool and it kills the spark

Ok Brad,

What is this timing "tool"?
How does it connect/ how do you connect it and to what?

Next time, Take the time to capture all the specifics and details.

We are not here to ASK questions but to answer them.

Sorry Brad, Not good enough,

Your description is not good. AT ALL!!

are you saying a Jumper wire? or a timing light?

What aftermarket distributor did you install?

What documentation came with it?

WHY are you installing something at the distributor and then to 12 Volts?

If I have to ask anymore questions I will not do so and let others if they want, pull your teeth to get the needed information.

Remember, this site covers MERCRUISER and we have answers to MERCRUISER issues, If you are using aftermarket products we need all the information to understand what it is and how it works.

If I have to ask anymore questions I will not do so and let others if they want, pull your teeth to get the needed information.

Remember, this site covers MERCRUISER and we have answers to MERCRUISER issues, If you are using aftermarket products we need all the information to understand what it is and how it works.

mercruiser on the thunderbolt v has discontinued the icm. The fix mercruiser told me to get this icm replacement kit merc part number 8M0183360. And this is why

Ok Brad. Because you have continued with minimal/limited infofmation you are on your own at least from me helping.

I asked my last questions in my prior post and again you failed to include any and all information needed to help.

Let me aak you a question and see if you can help me.

Q- I have a truck, it wont start. Please tell me why?

If you cannot give me a specific answer based on the information in my question then you might understand why I am out your issue.

Good luck! Your gonna need it.

Okay I have a 1998 bay liner ciera with a 5.7 l bravo 3. The icm went on it. Mercruiser doesn’t make that icm anymore. But they gave me this part number 8m0183360 to fix it. Which is a whole new ignition system, from mercruiser. Now with the new ignition system it runs, but when you go to time it, it tells you in the instructions to plug in this connector to the distributor and then the other end which is a alligator clip. Which came with the kit. It causes the spark to disappear. Sorry if I was not clear. But with out the wire hooked up it starts right away

Soooo.... ( to be clear) engine is running, you plug the timing connector into the right side connector on the new disti.... you then connect the alligator clip onto +12 and the engine stops???
Next question... is the connector on the tool polarized, i.e. can only be plugged in one way mechanically?

Yes, with the engine running, then you connect the plug in to the distributor and to 12 volts and it stops running. And there is only one way it can plug in.

Does your new distributor cap look like this:
https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-5354

if so, then you bought a delco EST distributor kit. Personally, I don't use the timing clip. just set the distributor so you have 32 deg of timing advance at 3000 RPM and be done with it...you can use a timing tape or an advance type of timing light...or you can go old school and measure the OD of the balancer and make at line at 32 deg BTDC...

Yes it does. Thank for that information. I’m going to try that next. Sounds like you have experience with with this new ignition system.

The Delco EST ignition has been on the marine market for over 30 years...I wouldn't call it new by any means...

Back