Logo

Cam follower spring 24-76298

merc 90

Good Morning,
I have a 1984 Merc 9.8 hp (serial #6478887) that is missing the cam follower spring (part #24-76298), I have been searching the internet and calling around for several days now looking for this part but it simply does not exist, can someone please tell me where I can find one or let me know if there's an equivilent out there some where.
Maybe if someone has a lower gear unit taken apart and can measure the spring for me, that would probably help also.

Thank you for your time.

Why do you need this part ?---Depending on your location there should be lots of good used ones around.----Some dealers would give you that spring if you bought a gallon of oil !

Guyjg, just checked seaway no luck, but thanks for the tip.

Racerone, the motor was given to me, the engine runs great, everything in the prop shaft housing looks good except for the missing spring, my thoughts are that the previous owner was messin' around in there and lost the spring, I live in SE Michigan, I've talked to every dealer I can find in the area, no luck.....

I am about 2 hrs north of Port Huron ( Canadian side of the lake ) and have a few of those springs.---------Hildebrand near Coldwater , Michigan surely has a few of those !!

Racerone, I would really appreciate it if you could part with one of them, just let me know how to contact you or you contact me and we can go from there, again I would really appreciate it.

Boat_tech, thanks for the info., but I've already registered with them and filled out an "RFQ" (request for quote), I'm still waiting to hear back, I get the feeling they're looking for big orders like from the military or something like that.

Racerone, thank you for your help, Hildebrands has the spring I'm looking for.

To those on this and other forums that have the experience and expertise and are willing to help those who don't, THANK YOU

Just a final note to everyone that helped, Hildebrands was the only place I found that said they had the spring, however the price they were going to charge was more than I was willing to pay, I understand they need to make money, but I would never forgive myself if I paid that much for a simple spring....I found an old spring that looked like it would work, so after some careful cutting and grinding, I put it all together and she ran just fine, go figure....Thank you to everyone that helped

Back