Logo

Buzzing warning horn in remote control assembly

MNman

I've got a 1986 120hp Johnson and I accidentally left the key on overnight and woke up to a buzzing warning horn in the remote control throttle assembly. I thought maybe I drained the battery so I recharged it. The horn still buzzes when the key is on. How do I fix this?

Does it buzz when engine is running? If so, turn off engine, turn off key, and remove and clean the battery terminals.

BTW - There are folks on the Johnson/Evinrude forum on this site that are real experts on that engine.

I disconnected the heat sensors and the oil sensor wires back at the motor ( under the cowling) and the warning horn in the throttle and key assembly continues to buzz continuously when the key is turned on. What else could make the warning horn buzz? Must be short somewhere...

Last edited:
I think you nailed it....short somewhere. Question is, how did leaving the key on overnight cause you to have a short circuit?

Mark

It's a boat - things go wrong even when it's just sitting there all by its lonesome.

Down here they refer to it as "S... Happens Man". I don't subscribe to that. Somewhere is a cause. Spent my whole career looking for causes and made a good living in the process. Agree it will sit there and break, buttttttt there is a cause. We know that. Just making conversation.

Mark

Back