Logo

Bugs In the Boat

eeyore

Sorry this is not OMC specific but I know how knowledgeable you guys are, my boat is a 1987 VIP with a Ford 2.3 and Cobra outdrive, there thats tech stuff outta the way.... We generally make Memorial day our first boating trip, so this weekend I got the decided to de-winterize the boat, ain't it nice when it fires up straight away, when ya turn the key?... This lil motor has been a real trooper for us... my problem is... Friggin ants, does anyone know how the heck to keep ants out of the boat, its trailered and every year it seems to get infested with these blighters, worse before its de-winterized but also during boating season, any ideas how to control them ?

go to home cheapo and buy ant killer in powder form it's actually granular.

Use a spreader on the ground larger then the boat foot print say 5 feet more.

Ants in the boat already, they got home use stuff that you spray.
Or bleach in the boat.

this is what i did and got rid of them you will have some wipeing to do afterwards put cover on boat but dont tighten put a pie plate center of boat go to home depo or any hardware store and get you a bug bomb and put it in pie pan and set off next day wipe boat down vacumm they love the wood and foam in the boat

When I purchased my boat in NY in 2008, I found that there were a few Bee's nests inside the hull, and as I was exporting it home with me, I knew that Quarantine Regulations prohibit any bugs from enjoying a free passage, so I started to remove them.

Well, it wasn't the Bees that I should have been worried about, but the Carpenter Ants I found hidden in every piece of timber, and bouyancy foam that was inside the boat

I ended up removing every trace of Timber, Foam, where possible, covered the boat completely, emptied 4 Spray Bombs inside it, washed and cleaned it again and again, and thought it was clear.

Well, when the container arrived, 2 Months later, there must have been some eggs still hidden, and yes, Quarantine found them, and this necessitated a complete industrial Fumigation before they were totally eradicated.

If you have ants, and the males have wings, then be prepared for real fumigation, and possible timber replacement.

Bruce.

Back