Logo

broken water tube 1965 9.5 hp

franklin brown

I have a 1965 johnson 9.5 hp that i recently bought,
the water was not flowing out i took off the lower unit and water pump to find no gasket and a broken water tube
I need help on how to repair it,

how do i repair it

frank,

Re: broken water tube

If you're speaking of the copper water tube that goes from the water pump to the powerhead, the top of that tube is held in by an O ring, retaining washer, and locking ring (under the powerhead).

Unfortunately the lower unit must come off, remove the starboard (right) cowling pan, remove the entire engine assy from the port (left) cowling pan, then remove the powerhead. Now, you have access to the top of the water tube and can replace it.

This procedure is a PITA even for those of us that have performed that job many times. Best that you have a service manual, and a parts manual if need be before diving into that job.

you know what, that's what i was afraid of i don't know i i want to tackle this thing,
maybe a slegde hammer can fix it*better than i can,if i do i need to see if i can get parts for this thing,
thanks joereeves: you been very helpful,
hey i think the stupid thing is stupid.

Last edited:
franklin brown
None of Us started out knowing how to work on these motors. You just have to dive in
and get Your hands dirty.
That is a nice motor and well worth repairing. Just cruise craigs list and see the selling price
of them.
Good Luck with Your motor and possibly a new hobby!
Steve A W

thanks steve aw,
after a few days or month i start looking over the motor ready to get started, and then at the water tube again to find it's not broken it's just dangling up in there i pull on it it came out,the tube is bent and*dented'by looking up under the power head i saw a hole tha it came out' i got another tube a few days ago,i will try putting it in,i'll let you know how it goes,
thank you,
and thanks to all,****

The water tube is held in place at the top by a " pushnut "------------------The powerhead / block has to be removed to do a proper job.

You've nothing to lose, you already have a new water tube. Take a bunch of pictures, make notes before you dismantle things, you can do it...... we got faith in ya.

Back