Logo

Broken Starter Switch?

John Haggerty

Contributing Member
Folks,

1989 70hp Johnson. Yesterday, I tried to tighten the collar that holds the starter switch tight. Being 25 year old plastic, it broke. I had a small piece of metal (small stainless semi-circle with a thru slot, not a tumbler) fall out and couldn't figure how to replace it. The switch "seemed" to function as the tumblers and key still functioned. I could get it to the run and start (turned over) positions, so I expected it to work. I opened the controls up to see what things looked like,
ordered a new starter switch and think I put it back together properly.

Today, I put the boat in the water and couldn't get the motor to run. Starter spun fine, seemed as to not be getting any spark. Safety lanyard is in place. Seemed like maybe the lanyard circuit was incorrect as maybe I messed up something when I opened up the controls. I'm next going to see if I have good spark as I expect the switch to arrive tomorrow.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

The lanyard switch seems to work. It is either open or low resistance and connects to the starter switch. The starter switch seems to be good when tested per service manual. However, the pushing in of the switch is complicated due to the broken plastic mount. Maybe my no start was as simple as not being able to push and enrich at start, but I doubt it. Spark seems good at 716" from what I can tell in bright sunlight. I'm stumped as I haven't even been able to get any kind of hint of a start. Tomorrow I'll put in the new switch and try again.

Any ideas???

This is interesting...but seeing where the problem began, maybe the issue is simply the pushing in of the switch? Once that small piece of metal fall, didn't the problem somewhat start from there?

Keep me posted! :D

Thanks for the help. Changed out the switch and all is good. Minor problem where letter ID code didn't exactly match. Had to swap two wires from where I hooked them up and all was good. Fished today and caught at least 6 species of fish :).

Back