Logo

Broken rocker arm stud.

english_man_in_norway

Contributing Member
I Have a broken rocker arm stud in my mercruiser 4.3 cylinder head,due to bad 'manual' torque settings,this part is no longer available in Norway or the UK,does anyone know if it is possible to modify a standard bolt instead of the stud?

year ? We know where you are it's tough to find chevy stuff for us it's as easy as going down the road to the local junk yard.

Shipping is the problem but a stud couldn't it be as easy as dropping it into a envelope and dropping it off at the post offie.

How hard can this be & why have they stopped making this stud??,can't find the correct spec on the jegs website, the overall length is 61.6mm/2.42", B-1.535,C-0.866,D-0.472 & guessing its 3/8 & 7/16 threads,anybody know any differant?

Jeezus F, it's a Chevy fer crissakes. Put in a piece of threaded rod with some locktite and get out on the water.

To paraphrase Bondo, any stud is better than no stud at all.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input,but its the chevy that let me down in the 1st place,don't wana risk any failures once I get back on the wet stuff,looks like I'l have to just get one machined.

Thanks for the input,but its the chevy that let me down in the 1st place,don't wana risk any failures once I get back on the wet stuff,looks like I'l have to just get one machined.

Have you pulled a good one out and tried to match it? The course thread end that goes into the head should just unscrew, with a little effort. The fine thread is just for rocker adjustment, but the stud diameter should be the same on both ends (usually, but occassionally different on HP rigs). Just can't believe a Chevy rocker stud is that unique or special, as there are a bazzillion of them out there. Is it the conversion from std to metric that is confusing the issue? I don't know, but I would do all 16 as a set so that I know they were the same.

PS: Those studs are hardened and any old one made in a shop will probably fail in short order.

Last edited:

Yes, well, I don't suppose there are too many Ford 351 Windsor engines sitting around Oslo, are there. If you send me your address, I'll have a stud to you in no time. I can ask at the Embassy if they can dipple pouch it. I pass by it every day.

Last edited:
Thanks again guys for your assistance,I didn't at first think that a stud could cause so much confusion! I have measured the stud accuratly & there is a big differance from top to bottom thread,its not just a fine thread differance,if you look in one of my previous threads,I have added both inch & metric values,again its from a mercruiser v6 4.3 1993,GMC,which has 12 not 16 studs,but I only require two, one which snapped & I'm worried one got cracked also. My address is,Mike Day,skulevegen,Brandal,6062 Norway,So If anybody can get me back out on the fjords to catch come of these great cod or salmon,I would be a very happy chappy!

I'm afraid not they are to small,I've included a pic to see the thread differance. bilde.JPG

Back