Logo

broke micro switch in 1976 mercruiser ctrl - replacement?

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
So while re-assembling my shift controller yesterday - I noticed the 2 switch wires were a bit exposed, upon trying to pull them off the switch with pliers the whole thing shattered and little springs and things jumped everywhere..

attached is a pic of what I have left.

Where/what could be a replacement option? this is an old chrome plate bronze/copper control that says mercontrol on it-

switch1.jpg
switch2.jpg

Thanks

I presume this is to prevent starting in gear? And would this be CONNECTED while NOT in one of the half moons or the other way round?

ah thanks - yes i imagined sth like that. is it normally closed? ie connects when the ball pops into one of the slots (neutral) - like a car.. I imagine it disables starting in gear.. so not too much of an issue right now -

That switch is readily available.. Likely made by Honeywell ( if old, otherwise "OMRON" if newer import but high quality switch)... should be a P/N on the side. Available from a number of electronic parts retailers. Check P/n and post it here. Should start with a "V7.." if Honeywell.

Last edited:
hi thanks - the back part with numbers on it got smashed - ill see if i can locate the 3rd piece on the boat 2moro..alot of tools lying around as we have reglassed the rear deck and removed alot of stuff.

On the parts I have appear to be what looks like a SB or gB os SA / gA inside a bic C -

Numbers:

I can see a v31*16D8 and a 7329 on its own top right of the plate - or V3L*, it cracked the letters in half..

ill poke around and see what I can find - thanks!

Heres a pic I took -

switch-24.jpg

Note:

You asked if it was normally open or normally closed.

No way to tell from here but before you reassemble the control hook the wires up to replacement switch and test.

This stops the CRANKING of the starter.

The micro switch has three lead connections.

1. in
2. out, normally open
3. out normally closed

I would put money it is a normally closed switch it interrupts the start wire from the ignition switch to the start relay or slave solenoid.

yup - i think ill be ale to match up a honeywell for $3 pretty well :) just waiting for vernier calipers to arrive - tx tho! but $24 is a steal. I think i was trying to pull off soldered pins! thats why i annihilated it! :(

Back