Logo

Bravo 3 drive hard to shift

hbbutler

My neighbor at the lake has A 1999 Rinker 242 with a 5.7 Carb engine and a Bravo 3 outdrive. This weekend it decided to became hard to shift into gear. We disconnected the shift cable where the upper and lower cables connect and determined it was something in the lower cable or drive. Does anyone have the service manual for the Bravo 3 or can offer ideas what might be the issue.

The bravo series outdrive can not be shifted easily if at all unless running.

If the cable is not the issue then it is internal to the upper gear housing. Th cone clutch assembly may be worn and in need of replacement. When the cones (male and female) wear they do not like to seperate.

Saying that, was the issue going into gear or comming out of gear?

It was hard to shift into and out of gear. I will check idle, but i suspect the lower shift cable . Would love to have the service manual just for backup when we tear into it as I have never worked on a Bravo 3 drive.

See my Bravo III hard shift post..... my repair guys said it was a corroded detent, not the cable, but I won't know for certain until next summer.

See my Bravo III hard shift post..... my repair guys said it was a corroded detent, not the cable, but I won't know for certain until next summer.

Ayuh,.... This thread is over a Year old, I'd hope it's been fixed for quite a while by now,...

Back