Logo

Bravo 2x oil line leak below reservoir tank

AKAl

My outdrive reservoir tank on my Bravo 2x is leaking below the tank down into my bilge about 1/2 tank a day even when the boat is sitting. I’ve placed paper towels all around the oil tank and lines and found nothing. The only conclusion I can come to is it’s leaking at the thru hull connection or hose right above it. I can’t even see or reach that part because it’s so tight to the motor. I’m looking for some advice on changing the thru hull fitting and hose or recommendations if there’s something else I should consider as the source of the leak. I did change the outdrive oil and it looked good. So I’m pretty sure it’s between the reservoir and thru hull fitting. I’ve attached a pic of a new fitting I purchased (brass instead of plastic) Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Attachments

• IMG_2170.jpeg
    IMG_2170.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 0
You need to determine where the leak is before changing parts.

I would suggest pinching oil hose below resevoir and draining outdrive.
Pressure check out drive to about 14-15 psi. Listen for leak.

When draing outdrive remove fill and vent plugs to drain then reinstall one and pressure check thru outher.

It could be as you suspect but it also could be upper gear case carrier seal (near ujoints-inside housing)

Thank you for your reply Kghost, That definitely sounds like a better plan than I had. I’ll give it a try. Do you know where I might find something to pressurize the out drive? Auto store maybe? Or is it a specialty tool. I appreciate the advice.

Back