Logo

Bolts broke off in head

"Hello again, I had a chance t

"Hello again, I had a chance to pick up a 1996 30hp Johnson really cheap for a parts motor( has saltwater corrosion here and there) and discovered the lower unit is seized but the pistons and walls look awesome the motor turns fine all else on top looks like new.The lower unit on my 1989 matches up perfect, gonna do some swappin out.

I am changing the gaskets on to exhaust, head, water jackets. The smaller screws that hold the outter cover broke off in the head. I was able to remove the head no problem and now have it sitting here with 3 broken off "studs"

Can these be retapped if I romove them with a drill bit? Can I soak the aluminum head in some thing to free them up? ok to use heat? Is there a good way to flush out the white oxide build up inside?

Thanks alot this board is priceless for a home garage mechanic ."

"If you have enough to grab wi

"If you have enough to grab with a vice grip you might get them out. File the screw so that you have two flat surfaces for the vice grip to lock on to. Use heat and try to unscrew them.

If this does not work, you have to drill them out. Cut the ends off as close to the head as possible. Hit the center with a sharp punch so that the drill bit doesn't walk. Start with a 1/8 inch cobalt bit, then 3/16, then 1/4. Get a 1/4-20 heli-coil kit. This enables you to use the original screw size (1/4-20)."

Guys the tips were great. A li

Guys the tips were great. A little heat and 3 out of 5 came out with vgrips . The others broke free with a small drill bit.

I left a post about some carbon build up on the top portions of the pistons.

Thanks all!!

Back