Logo

Bolt selection for flywheel cover and intermediate drive shaft housing

oldshore

Contributing Member
Setup: GM 5.7 L (2003/2004) Crusader 5.7L Captain's Choice fuel injected) mated to Volvo 280 drive through intermediate drive shaft housing (1979 Chris Craft Lancer)
I need to purchase new bolts for the flywheel cover to engine block and studs for the intermediate driveshaft housing to the flywheel cover.
I assume SAE grade 8 bolts should be used. Would you trust Home Depot grade 8 bolts or go elsewhere? Where to get the studs and quality bolts?

Try a fastener supply company.
Don't be tempted to use even the high grade SS.... too soft!

I assume that you're talking about the Borg Warner flywheel cover w/ the "B/W (slash) V/P PDS adapter housing"????
Example photo only.

If so, be sure to replace the PDS bearings/seals.
Install the PDS with the new bearings, stop and pre-fill the grease cavity (as you spin the PDS), then install your seals after you see grease come through the ball cages.
Glue the FWD seal in place (so that future grease pressure cannot dislodge it)..... and the AFT seal installs in the non-conventional direction.

Here's an odd old Chris Craft flywheel forward installation.
This uses the Holman Moody/Eaton/Donzi style Borg Warner/PDS adapter housing.
These set the engine forward by 3-1/8" over the OEM style.

You're actually looking at the front of the engine here. The Borg Warner bolt pattern is industry standard.
These use the course PDS splines for the transmission's female yoke.

Last edited:
No special bolts or studs are needed. Just grease the new fastners up before installing them. The block has locater pins to keep the flywheel casing from spinning and the bolts/studs of the rear shaft housing are monsters at 7/16" if I remember right maybe even 1/2".

Ricardo - I located a new intermediate drive shaft housing complete with shaft and bearings, on eBay. It looks like it was bolted on to a flywheel housing once but never installed for use. NO grease anywhere. No zirc installed. I will be sending it to you to properly set up, grease, etc. I would rather have the expert do it. A few years ago you did my 280 transmission and lower unit.

Back