Logo

Boggy

CCH

Contributing Member
Hello all, just finished a rebuild of my 1988 60hp vro. Vro removed. So after new cylinder walls and piston,rings all was looking good. Also new water pump. I have a issue not sure what is causing it. Motor starts great, idles fine, put it in gear all works move throttle to first point get about 1300 rpm but that's it any more than that it boggs and dies. Now if I keep hitting the primer it will run but no more than 1400 rpm with WOT. Timing is set fine I believe. Also it I pop the carb plates in neutral it will rev no problem. Inhave also unplugged the temp sensor no change. Thoughts?

They all rev fine in neutral.-----Means nothing.----Running on 2 of 3 cylinders.------Or plugged carburetor.-----Flywheel key sheared ?-----

Hi thanks for quick response. Fires on all three.carbs are all clean and have been rebuilt and flywheel key is fine. I think maybe fuel pump. Last uear it would not get past 3100 that's what drove the rebuild. So wondering if the shot pistons and going pump were the issues. Now with new parts only thing not changed was the after market pump since the vro was removed. The pump is the triangle shaped pump with one inlet and 2 outlets. They are cheap so might just replace and see.

Last edited:
Question the fuel line that supplies the carb is only 1/8 I.d. Should the main be 1/4 that tees off to 1/8 at the carbs?

Morning with the removal of the vro system and a standard fuel pump installed is there a need for the pulse limiter or can that be removed. I have read that it is no longer needed with a standard pump? Thanls

Well great news, after tearing the fuel pump and started checking cylinder compression 120,118,117 saw out of the corner of my eye the the center cylinder coil wire was pinched under the top coil. Repaired the lead and all is great. So the only issue and this maybe timing as it was played with is that it will only reach 4000 and took a bit to get there. Could that be timing or just the new engine break in. Thanks

I thought you said new piston walls and pistons. Those compression #s are for what I would consider a decent used motor. Did you do a link and sync? Is the timer base moving correctly?

Yes they're new so maybe there is a small break in not sure. Timer base is moving correctly will redo the link and sync again with all that has been going on. I did read somewhere there would be low compression to start. They have maybe 15 minutes of run time. I will also do the Joe reeves timing .

Back